Granite Fitters

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by limestone, Sep 15, 2009.

1. limestone

limestone Member

I'm not easily impressed but I've just had a company called Granite Fitters do our kitchen worktops and they were absolutely brilliant. No money upfront, no templating, just a great job at about two thirds the price of the next lowest quote.

The problem now is my mate from Scotland (Inverness)has seen the worktops and wants a similar job doing. Does anyone know of a company that works in a similar fashion bur covers Inverness?

2. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

no templating

How does that work, then?

3. kilgore

kilgore New Member

I agree

Be interesting to hear how they do it without templating

4. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

ERM

Guesstimate

5. refurb man

refurb man New Member

anyone who agrees to supply joe public with a made to measure granite worktop on the hope that they will get paid after it is installed should seek medical help

6. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Refurb man, i install granite or quartz on at least 1 3rd of my installs and always get paid in full! its all in the service you give before that counts.
    1 let the client choose their slabs.
    2 write down that there may be shade variations.
    3 have a bloody big piece of wood to hand on payday .

7. stevie-c

stevie-c Member

nice trick- can i watch em do it?

8. max6674

max6674 New Member

Granite Ftters cover Inverness, and thank you for your kind comments.. (Jason, GF)

9. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Jason GF
    i assume you are the Granite fitters that limestone was talking about.
    Would you mind explaining how you fit your granite WITHOUT templating?
    #thanks in advance Blueassedfly

10. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

I have been involved with granite , glass and timber tops all cut on CNC machines from dimensions measured on site.

If the manufacturer has CNC machine and templates are made, they will then measure the templates increasing the risk of error.

The secret is knowing how to measure and transfer the dimensions work from a x and y axis to locate points on the tops with two measurements, one from each axis.

Andy

11. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

i saw some clowns fit some granite last week without templating. Just made some measurements and went off. Filled the 20mm gap at the end with black silicone :'( Complete morons, without a doubt the worse granite fit ive ever seen. Chipped edges, the sink will drop off within a year i bet, unpolished ends, and the worse upstands ever.

12. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

have been involved with granite , glass and timber tops all cut on CNC machines from dimensions measured on site.

If the manufacturer has CNC machine and templates are made, they will then measure the templates increasing the risk of error.

The secret is knowing how to measure and transfer the dimensions work from a x and y axis to locate points on the tops with two measurements, one from each axis.

Andy

Andy surely taking measurements on site of any description is Templating of sorts?

13. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

"I have been involved with granite , glass and timber tops all cut on CNC machines from dimensions measured on site.

The secret is knowing how to measure and transfer the dimensions work from a x and y axis to locate points on the tops with two measurements, one from each axis."

Surely by taking accurate measurements fro the template reduces the risk of error? And if the cnc machine is going to cut drainage grooves etc and sink cutouts then the Z Axis has to be put in. I have yet to see a cnc machine that only uses the x and y axis.

14. The Happy Builder

You cannot measure Z onsite as it does not exist! it has to be put in at the workshop,.

Common sinks etc normally the workshop will have it already programmed into memory, otherwise give them the card/ paper template from the sink manufacturer.

15. The Happy Builder

One of the glass top firms will only use one make of tape measure to avoid inaccuracies.

As a matter of intrest try comparing all all tapes and rules you may be surprised by the result.

When bathroom fitting do you realise just how big the manufactureres tolerances are on baths allowing for variation in shrinkage from hot forming?

Andy

16. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

I'd agree you can't take the z measurement on site, but it does have to be programmed in . Even with a basic worktop without cutouts , you have to programme the z axis in. Otherwise you may find it either doesn't cut the worktop deep enough or, even worse, cuts into the bed of the cnc machine.

17. Stone Gazer

Stone Gazer New Member

Granite fitters like all internet companies..ok not all but the majority, buy the worktops pre-cut in lengths from 3000mm down with widths either 600 or 630mm wide.

These pieces have all 4 edges polished and they cost per m2 cheaper by about £10 than if you were to buy a huge scant (ie.3000 x 1800mm)which obviously you still need to rip up into the tops and then polishing the edges.

So how do you know if your worktops are blanks............well you cant unless you have either a sample of a large slab or the joints are wider than 2-3mm.

The benifits for buying these is obviously the cost and time saved, in the workshop. In fact most these companies do not even have workshops and cut from there van or there back garden.

The cons......well there are a few ie. the thickness of pieces change from each. the color is not consistant and they use dye to polish.

Hope this answered your questions

18. granitestoneuk

granitestoneuk New Member

I owe a granite yard based in Essex , Chigwell- Granite Stone UK Ltd. We have had various salesman trying to sell us laser guided templating tools. Quite simply everyone of them is great when templating anything that is straight and square. When doing anything on a large scale it is to open to human error. You simpy can not beat a template made from cordex boad. We can template any kitchen with this in around 30mins. *

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator