Gravel on Concrete Driveway

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by socketman, Oct 25, 2007.

1. socketman

socketman New Member

Hi
    I want to tidy up the look of my concrete driveway using gravel. I understand that laying gravel up straight on top of the concrete surface would cause it to roll!! Not wanting to have to break up the surface I thought if I layed a thin layer of gravel onto a cement screed let it set and then lay the remainder using say 10mm gravel to a depth of 40mm. Would this work....any ideas???Thanks.

2. > Would this work....any ideas???Thanks.

no it wont

get a Kango and break the concrete up..then lay a bed of sharpsand..then lay the gravel

(you know it makes sense)

3. ­

­ New Member

Pour PVA over the concrete and then (quickly) lay the gravel. Within minutes the stones will have bonded forever to the concrete and you will have a perfect gravel drive.

Got to go now, time for my medication.

4. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

PVA are you crakers. will soften in the rain. i would stick each one down with gripfill

5. ProDave

ProDave New Member

There IS a way of doing this.

When I bought my first new house, the privatly owned parts of the access road were originally tarmac. But they then applied a gravel coating to make it look nice (in their opinion) and I think they just stuck the gravel down by pouring a layer of hot tar, then pouring the gravel, then rolling it.

It looked pants to me. On the corners, the gravel just pushed off where the car wheels went, exposing the tarmac beneath.

6. ­

­ New Member

> There IS a way of doing this.

When I bought my first new house, the privatly owned
    parts of the access road were originally tarmac. But
    they then applied a gravel coating to make it look
    nice (in their opinion) and I think they just stuck
    the gravel down by pouring a layer of hot tar, then
    pouring the gravel, then rolling it.

It looked pants to me. On the corners, the gravel
    just pushed off where the car wheels went, exposing
    the tarmac beneath.

It's called 'tar and gritting' but gravel isn't used. A finer grit is used which sticks to the hot wet tar. When all is cool and dry the grit has bonded.

Problem is car tyres wear the same two tracks along the drive which soon wears out exposing tar then concrete.

7. ProDave

ProDave New Member

It's called 'tar and gritting' but gravel isn't used.
    A finer grit is used which sticks to the hot wet
    t tar. When all is cool and dry the grit has
    bonded.

In my case it most definitely WAS gravel. Tar and Grit is used as a surface dressing on public roads and works well. But trying this method with gravel was very poor indeed. The gravel is simply too large to bond in properly. I just think the developers thought it would look good with a gravel finish, but the result was poor.

Problem is car tyres wear the same two tracks along
    the drive which soon wears out exposing tar then
    concrete.

It was worse than that. It simply pushed the gravel into piles either side of the tyre tracks. It realy dod look pants.