Grease nipple threads

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by diymostthings, Jul 20, 2010.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

We have to grease a (replaced)king pin bush on the steering of a milk float. The grease nipple supplied, although starting to enter the tapped shaft, can only be turned about one third of a turn before locking - clearly the wrong thread. My question is, "Is it possible to obtain a range of thread types for us to try to get the right one. (a 10mm bolt screws in a little way!).

Thank you.

diymostthings

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I could be wrong bit I would guess a grease nipple shoud be imperial.

3. RedTapeDoc

RedTapeDoc New Member

Lots of the old grease nipple BSPT (British Standard Pipe Taper Thread)

4. twmsioncati

twmsioncati New Member

Could be a number of different threads, can you take one off the other side to see if that's fit & take it with you to a engineering supplies to compare, if you think its about 10mm dia it could be 1/8"BSP 3/8"UNF 3/8"BSF or even 10mmX1, 10mmX1.5

5. diymostthings

Thanks very much for those words of wisdom and probable thread types. No, sadly, the other side doesn't fit. I'm beginning to think the thread in the kingpin has been poorly or incorrectly cut.

I think I may have to grit my teeth and tighten it as much as possible before it strips and hope it will be "grease-tight"

Thanks again

diymostthings

6. Team of 99

Team of 99 New Member

Force it and you will strip the thread. There is only one place those metal pieces will go is into the grease. It will work its way to the moving parts and then start to damage them as well.

Not a good idea !

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Find a nut that the nipple thread will fit lovely. Then find a bolt to match the nut. See if you can wind that bolt in and out of the housing for the nipple.

May be enough to clear the female threads out.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. diymostthings

Thanks for all your replies sorry for the delay - other priorites - but unfortunately non has worked! (Cant find the correct thread size or pitch). I might try a plasplud and coach screw (getting desperate).

Thanks again

diymostthings