green stuff running down hot water pipe in airing cupboard

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by lady_new_2_diy, May 7, 2018.

1. Hi I had plastic pex pipes replaced with copper pipes in my attic in the winter and i noticed green stuff running down the pipe from the loft, in the airing cupboard, which the hot water comes through.It feels waxy. Please see photo taken from airing cupboard.
    Please see picture.
    The gas safe engineer also lagged the pipes in the loft, and in the loft at the bottom of the lagginig is some olivey green stuff, not as bluey green as the seepage running down the pipe when it enters the airing cupboard. It is the pipe which carries the hot water when i turn on the hot tap. The lagging isnt done very well, there is gaps in the corners and it isn't taped very well.
    Tbh I have lost trust in him, and even if he comes back as it is in the loft and hard to access, I will never know if he has rectified the problem.
    Is this a big problem or am i being paranoid.
    I also noticed green bits on other areas of the new copper pipes.
    What needs to be done about it?
    I hope its not a big problem. The gas safe engineer said the work is guaranteed for a year. I have his invoice but cannot find a guarantee.
    HE is definitely gas safe.
    HEre is the picture
    thanks
    what is this.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

It could just were the flux ran & dried, or it could be a slight weep on a joint.

lady_new_2_diy likes this.
  3. Thanks for your speedy reply. IS the weep on a joint a problem, I know nothing about pipework and plumbing. Could it turn into a massive leak? I'm scared stiff of leaks, thanks

4. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

If in doubt, get it checked out. Put your mind at rest.

Unlike mine who cant ruddy sleep!!!

5. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

I think it's flux. Flux is used at soldering the joints. Best to wipe down with a damp cloth and monitor.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Yep, you got no wet patches, so just keep a eye on it.

7. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

As Jitender has advised, you could also use a kitchen scouring and and soapy water to remove it.

KIAB likes this.
  8. Astramax

Kitchen scoring 'PAD ', whoops

9. Hi everyone thanks, I have another question please
    I rang the plumber as he is 24/7 and he said that if one of the pipes were leaking the boiler pressure would be at zero, is this true?

10. Astramax

STOP WORRYING cause I'm thinking of slitting my throat.:eek::(

11. Thanks but if I knew that leaks would alter boiler pressure to zero that would ease my mind a bit. Also, in pipes in other areas of the flat, the previous owner who was a really bad DIY'er did some copper pipework and boxed it in, and I can only see so far down the pipe and it has green blobs on the underside. I don't mean to make you feel like you are slitting your throat, but its just really worrying for me.

12. Astramax

Nothing said or explained to you on here is helping you, I've green on my pipes where I live and two previous addresses going back over 40 years of owning my own properties, they are still green and I'm still breathing in and out. Please stop worrying.:confused:

13. Thank you, that reassures me actually that you have had no leaks at two previous addressses over 40 years. I just worried because everywhere else online I read said the green means leaks, and what with me not running the water for months I was extra worried about leaks.

14. Astramax

Are the pipes wet?

15. It's difficult to say cos the source of the leak is covered in lagging which the engineer did, and I didnt want to take apart the lagging in case he refuses to address the job if he thinks ive tampered with it.
    As for the pipes which are boxed in, i cannot tell as they are horizontal and i can only see one end about a foot as it dissappears into insulation which is really old and dusty and black so they might be wet.

16. Hello,
    I can't help with your green pipes but have you thought about buying a general DIY book? (I'm not trying to be funny or upset you) I've sometimes seen your posts on here before when you've been worried about things and you might find a DIY book helpful.

Google (or the Internet in general) is a wonderful servant but a poor master. It provides SO much helpful information but it can also scare the bejesus out of us due to the sheer amount of info it throws out. It's often difficult to pick out the bits relevant to us and ignore the rest.

My house requires plenty of fixing/updating which, due to limited funds, I often need to do myself. Same as you, I am relatively new to DIY and I quickly realized how little I really knew so I bought a DIY manual as a place to start. There are loads on the market. Think mine was 2nd hand from Amazon so quite cheap. It covers every area of the house and explains things in an easy to understand way. It also explains how to do some jobs yourself, there are pictures too which can be useful at times. It doesn't give loads of really indepth info but provides a decent amount across the spectrum and it's helped me many times.

I think sometimes we can find a problem and panic without really understanding how serious it is or if it's easily fixed. I find that, if I can learn HOW something works or is put together, I can sometimes work out how to fix it. Or, at least, break down the problem into smaller sections so it doesn't seem so bad.

Obviously, no DIY book will answer every question and the guys on here are very generous with their time and knowledge (I was recently on here asking for help which was very kindly given) but it can help explain things and put problems into perspective, especially if you're worrying at 3am. It' s just a suggestion - and offered with the best intentions - but you might find buying a general DIY book helpful rather than depend too much on Google.

Good Luck:)

17. Thanks @Hampshire for your well thought out post.
    the problem is my flat is leasehold so there's bits i cant touch, but as the old owner breached the lease, the freeholder holds me responsible for some of the damage the old owner did so I am limited as to what i can do.
    Each time there is a problem, (had leaks from other things than plumbing) I have to contact the building owner and they are sick of me.

18. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Active Member

Who did you pay to do the job? Any reputable trades person would pop round and put your mind at rest?

19. Yes, I appreciate the leasehold aspect makes things more difficult for you but I was thinking more along the lines that you've posted a few threads today, mostly starting in the middle of the night which seemed to suggest (to me anyway) that you were very worried about everything and your worry was increasing throughout today. As I said, Google is great and can solve many problems but it can also create others as it gives us even more to be concerned over. It's sometimes difficult to know when to step away from Google etc.
    I hope you get everything sorted out quickly and as stress free as possible:)

20. So do i, i dunno whether to leave the flux on until the plumber comes back at the end of the week.