green stuff running down hot water pipe in airing cupboard

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by lady_new_2_diy, May 7, 2018.

1. Hi @Jimmycloutnail I paid a gas safe engineer, he said he would come back this week sometime but couldnt give me a date. When i messaged his facebook page (he has a website too) he said hed ring shortly but never got back to me, maybe cos its bank holiday

2. Pls see this thread https://community.screwfix.com/thre...an-it-from-pipes-in-loft.199179/#post-1603331 wiped flux off, the pipe feels smooth except for the end of the streak of flux where a 'ball' had formed, this feels rough suggesting corrosion, which makes me more worried about all of the many other outside joins in the loft where there is excess flux, given how big the loft is and the fact that the plumber said he won't look at all of the joins. He said he hasnt had a leak in 20 yrs but i dont believe him.

3. Dam0n

Dam0n Active Member

You sound like a bit of a nightmare customer to me.

Looks like flux has dripped which is very common when soldering pipework. You can't see the run and everything looks normal until a day later when it starts to go green. He probably wiped the join to clean the flux but didn't see the drip underneath.

Just wipe it off and forget about it. You've had some really good advice on here but still seem to be trying to find reasons to be worried.

Any good plumber who checks his solder joins quite possibly wouldn't have had any leaks in 20 years!

Edit - Just read your other post in the link.

Flux may create pinhole leaks in about 30 years if left but in the real world this doesn't happen.

4. I'm more worried about what you said about the cables, as the plumber didnt lag the pipes properly, and the base of one of them is bare for about half an inch, it gets reeally hot when i have a bath (dont have a shower) and I would like to know if this copper bare pipe near the cable gets too hot is it at risk of causing a fire in my loft. Its when you said all the cables are tangled, but they are right near bare copper.

5. facilities

facilities Guest

lady_new_2_diy likes this.
  6. A 'really hot' water pipe is at around 60oC - that is NOT going to cause any sort of fire. And I wouldn't worry about cables being close to these pipes unless they were actually touching, which I don't see that they are.

Even if they were touching, the cables wouldn't melt (tho' they might cause very long term degradation of the plastic, so it's not ideal).

They aren't touching, tho'?