Greenhouse Earthing

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by George Icbar, Oct 15, 2003.

1. George Icbar

George Icbar New Member

I'm putting power into the greenhouse - aluminium framed. What sort of earthing arrangements do I need to make taking into account the mains voltage and lightning strikes (however small the chances are)? Can I just earth it back to the consumer unit indoors or should I use an earth rod in the garden?

2. Brightspark

Brightspark New Member

what sort of power will you be using e.g sockets or just lighting?? will you be fitting a fuse board?

3. George Icbar

George Icbar New Member

I'm using IP66 sockets protected by a 16A RCBO. No lighting.

4. Brightspark

Brightspark New Member

The socket outlet your using is spot on. There is no need to bond the green house.
    The general rules for protection against indirect conduct only apply indoors, where exposed-conductive -parts and extraneous-conductive-parts are within the equipotential zone.
    Exposed meaning a conductive part of an electrical installation which may become live under fault conditions.
    Extraneous meaning a conductive part liable to introduce a potential and not forming part of the installation. Hope this helps.

5. George Icbar

George Icbar New Member

Thanks - didn't want to blow myself up watering the tomatoes.

6. What about TNC-S

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Drop a Rod in and bond the Frame to it.

It'll only cost yer £16 or so.

8. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Extraneous meaning a conductive part liable to
    introduce a potential and not forming part of the
    installation.

Such as an Aluminium framed greenhouse with IP rated sockets INSIDE it ;)