Greenhouse ringbeam

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Idris Draig, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Idris Draig

Idris Draig New Member

I have an aprox 6' x 9' greenhouse to erect that is designed to stand on a course of bricks, and the ground inside the greenhouse needs to be plantable.
    So I'm thinking or making something like a ring beam for the perimiter.
    The plan is coarse sand, with about a 9" x 9" ring of concrete with some rebar in it.

Does this make sense? Or would the beam need to be larger?

2. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

When I bought my house there was a greenhouse constructed like that, it worked well. I think the beam was more like 12” deep though, no more than 9” wide.

3. ramseyman

ramseyman Active Member

Have done two here just like that years ago - it at will be fine - just make sure it's well compacted beneath.

4. ramseyman

ramseyman Active Member

Forgot to say you want to offset the strip foundation as much as possible so you have the frame sitting near the inside edge which gives the maximum internal soil area for root growth.

5. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

I put my 10 x 8 on concrete lintels and just screwed them together and then the greenhouse to the lintels.

The advantage is that there is no digging, mess and if you take it down then there are no foundations to break up

6. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

upload_2019-8-30_19-10-3.png

We assembled the greenhouse and then moved the lintels one the greenhouse was squared up

ramseyman likes this.
  7. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

No need to mess around with concrete. Use the timber look-a-like sleepers as used for raised beds. Sink them into the ground so the top is level with the ground.

8. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Some of the the beams can't be used for this as the treatment will cause fumes inside a closed space and won't be good for things like tomatoes and soft fruit which will absorb them

9. Idris Draig

Idris Draig New Member

Thanks for all the input!

10. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

I agree original railway sleepers are treated with foul oily stuff that oozes out in the sunshine. A friend insisted on reclaimed sleepers thinking it was environmentally good to recycle a waste product. It was a disaster with stained clothes plus the dubious chemicals leaching in the beds.

I thought the similar sized timbers manufacturered for landscaping are OK for veg raised beds ?

11. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Treated timber is fine in the open air but you shouldn't use it indoors especially in hot and humid conditions like a greenhouse. Plants like tomatoes are quite sensitive to contaminants and will absorb them quite easily. They can be so sensitive that when people have sprinkled fish, blood and bone fertiliser on the ground, the tomato's can taste of fish !

Richard_ likes this.