Greenstar 30si intermittent ignition

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Peter harvey, May 25, 2018.

1. Peter harvey

Peter harvey New Member

Hi my worcester greenstar 30si has start to play up when I turn the hot water or heating on it starts to ignite and green light comes on and you can hear the fan kick in then after about 5/10 second it cuts out and the spanner, echo and reset buttons start to flash then after about another 10 seconds it tries again.
    After three or four and sometimes more goes the hot water will work but it never locks out.
    Boiler man can't pin it down as it's intermittent but getting worse.
    Boiler is 12 years old so due a new one but not really got money but no point spending too much to repair (parts and labour).
    Any information or possible faults would be great cheers

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Possible thermistor fault, possible dirty plate to plate heat exchanger, possible flame rectification issue to name a few possible faults.
    Without being in front of it its almost an imposibility to come up with any form of diagnosis as even the guy who has been in front of it is struggling.
    big problem being is if it went to lockout it would give a fault code from the light which will flash in a specific sequence for a specific fault.
    Sorry Peter Im not sure that your going to get a lot of assistance here im afraid.

3. Peter harvey

Peter harvey New Member

Ok cheers

4. Peter harvey

Peter harvey New Member

One thing I did notice sometimes when you first turn it on the water is burning hot were as normally it would get hot as it runs if that's any help

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Id have a look at the thermistor first then, your manual will give the resistances for specific sensors.