Grey cable in wiring for outside light UK

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Ronnee, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Ronnee

Ronnee New Member

Help please - I have an extra grey wire in existing wiring to attach to a new outside light. So four cables not 3. I think it might be 2 x neutrals but my usual electrician is not available and I need this light so we can use garden at night due to kitchen being out of bounds for drying after a flood. Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

I bought something like this fairly recently: Fluke T90 Voltage Tester | Voltage Testers | Screwfix.com

Not that exact model... just something like it.

With one of those tools you can probe the wires to find out what they do. I usually use it before starting any home electrical job to make sure I'm not about to touch live wires. I have also used it to check the functioning of wiring in conjunction with switches or fuse boxes.

In this case you could probe the brown wire and the first grey wire to find out if the circuit is live. If you can switch it on you can keep probing the wires in different combinations to decide if there's any requirement for even using that grey wire. It might be that your outdoor lighting circuit has more than one light on it? I know mine does.

3. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

The extra grey will be a extra permanent live if it is connected at the switch you need to terminate it in a spare terminal block and tuck it out of the way..

4. Ronnee

Ronnee New Member

Thank you - it is a switch on the inside wall. I will add a spare terminal block to tuck it away safely.

5. Ronnee

Ronnee New Member

Thank you - it’s out of stock everywhere close to me but I will look for an alternative for the tool box.

6. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

I think the one I bought was cheaper, might not have been from Screwfix! But better to have the type with 2 probes than one of the more basic 'pen' type devices.