Grey wire underneath sink

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Claremed1981, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Claremed1981

Claremed1981 New Member

Hi.
    Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.
    I've just started to give under my kitchen sink a clean and I've noticed a grey wire poking out from the back board of the sink cupboard.
    I've no idea what it's for or how long it's been there. Just wondering if anyone has an idea what it is.I don't want to touch it and blow myself up
    I've attached some pictures.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Tbh it could be from anything, I can't really tell what size it is (mm) from the pics, so no clues there, a volt stick would give an idea if it is live, but ideally a multimeter direct on the wires, but one has to be careful as electrickery can be quite dangerous.
    Do you know anyone that could assist?.

3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Claire,
    Can you see the other end of the cable? I agree, best to get it checked out

4. Claremed1981

Claremed1981 New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm in a Housing association house so I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they'll send someone out to have a look. I'd thought I'd try here first just to make sure I'm not calling them out over something unnecessary. I'm just completely stumped as to what the wire is there for.

5. Claremed1981

Claremed1981 New Member

No I can't see the other end of the wire, it's poking out from the back of the cupboard.

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Get HA out to check it pronto if that's the case.

7. Claremed1981

Claremed1981 New Member

Hi,
    Just got off the phone to the housing. They advised me to pull the wire to see if it's connected to anything I gave it a tug and the wire came out a fair bit but then got stuck and wouldn't come out anymore.
    They said It's not an emergency so are sending a guy out on the 13th Feb to take a look. I'll let you know the outcome and I'll be staying well clear of the cupboard until then ha

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Can you get a close up of the end of the wire - and maybe describe it. Round or Oval, approx size, what cores can you see - how many and colour?

9. Claremed1981

Claremed1981 New Member

IMG_8645.PNG I've just taken a closer picture for you. It's a round grey cable with blue and yellow wires inside.

10. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Remote isolation for water guys?, or somat like that, obsolete by the looks of it whatever it is/was.

11. Claremed1981

Claremed1981 New Member

oh so it's not going to go bang then haha:)thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I've stopped panicking now:)

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Any trunking or something coming out at the wall-sides of the unit?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Until you find the other end, you can't be certain it won't go bang!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Could be a disused cable from a water meter that's been take out. (had one in our house, but the sensor on the outside wall stopped working so Severn Trent replaced the meter with an all singing, all dancing version which does away with the need for anything on an outside wall)

15. Claremed1981

Claremed1981 New Member

Oh yes, I did have my water meter replaced about two years ago,I'd forgotten all about that. Maybe it's from the the old meter then.
    Mr Handyandy, don't worry I'm not going to be messing about with it and I will still have the guy come out on the 13th to check it over for me :)

16. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

It looks a little like 3 core flex ... with the yellow being where it had been cut through and missed the green.