Grohe concealed cistern, fix or replace?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Catseyes1983, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Catseyes1983

Catseyes1983 Member

Onto my 2nd loo that’s currently turned off as it’s constantly flowing into the pan. Grohe concealed but with no flush plate. Flush panel removed. I attempted to pull out the flush valve to source a replacement but the stupid previous owner put the countertop on too low down and it won’t come out!

Is it even worth chopping the unit up for just that? Should I look at replacing the whole cistern instead.. it looks like pneumatic flush button assembly isn’t made anymore.
    Going to need a plumber to come in that one as my isolation valve is leaking too. Head.. desk.. wallop.

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

As long as you stay above the water level could you cut part of the cistern away to create room?

3. Catseyes1983

Catseyes1983 Member

I think he might have to do that, or rip off the counter top. Great. All 3 of my toilets are constantly trickling. Plumber booked for Monday. Really hoping this isn't going to cost the earth.

4. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Active Member

You don’t want to spend money unnecessarily but I would change those syphons for a decent well known brand. Something like a Fluidmaster, so easy to change in future and easy to get parts for too. As long as the bolts underneath aren’t rusted, it shouldn’t take any longer than an hour or so to change one. I wouldn’t recommend cutting the other cistern personally, might be fine but it’s a bodge, best to get it done properly, not sure if many plumbers would want to cut a chunk out of a cistern either.

5. Catseyes1983

Catseyes1983 Member

I thought that Grohe was a decent brand? The other 2 toilets are weird makes, WDI and VIVA. If each one is a few hours work for accessible ones and I have the inaccessible one too that might need a whole new cistern, I'm looking at £££ aren't I?

pppmacca43 likes this.
  6. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Active Member

Screwfix do viva stuff, might be worth a look. Yeah Grohe is decent but I wouldn’t personally cut parts off of a cistern.
    If the viva valve is the same as the ones they do in Screwfix u could probably change that in a couple of minutes

Catseyes1983 likes this.
  7. Catseyes1983

Catseyes1983 Member

Thanks pppmacca. Does lemon law with houses? :mad: The loos are all going to need new isovalves put on too. I was hoping to get out of this at less than £300 but I'm guessing I should double that?

8. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Active Member

No idea how much it will cost, sorry. Best to ask for decent isolation valves for the sake of a few quid more, otherwise when u come to use them
    next time they’ll leak again, the really cheap ones are a waste of time and always end up leaking from the middle

9. Catseyes1983

Catseyes1983 Member

Yep thats exactly where they are leaking from. Appreciate your input.

pppmacca43 likes this.
  10. just pumps

I`ve seen counter tops fixed from underneath with two screws and siliconed around the top edges so it might not be that hard to remove it, likewise the experianced plumber might get the valve out where you struggled or they might suggest cutting away a small thin strip well above the water line which might give him that extra few millimeters to remove the valve, very hard to say without experiance and being there as I`m sure you understand.

11. Catseyes1983

Catseyes1983 Member

Thank you just pumps. He’s a great plumber hence the weeks wait for him to look. Everyone in this town uses him as his works sound.
    I trust him to advise us correctly but that doesn’t stop me worrying about the cost. 3 new flush systems and isovalves is going to be a minimum.

All of my loos are letting by. Didn’t even notice until I started to look for it.

12. just pumps

Hope you arent on a water meter with three systems letting water pass and if you are then you will see a reduction in the bill.;)

13. Catseyes1983

Catseyes1983 Member

Of course I’m on a beeping water meter. Couldn’t be that lucky to not be!!

14. just pumps

Guess not the way your luck is
    (said with humour)

15. Catseyes1983

Catseyes1983 Member

You have no idea!!
    In 2 yrs
    New boiler & rads
    This led to 2 new shower mixers as no hot water.. pipes plumbed in wrong.
    Gas pipe to boiler runs over 10m, leaked 3 times. Had to replace.
    All sink taps replaced
    Bath taps leaked.. not accessible so now have 2 sets on one bath.
    2 burst pipes and a new stopcock!!

I won’t go into the roof problems. Gutters leaking, fascia & soffits that need doing.
    Had to reclad the house as timber was rotten… I won’t go into more.