Groundwork/Garden Drainage

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Michaelsf90, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Michaelsf90

Michaelsf90 Member

The recent weather has brought to light a serious drainage issue in our garden. About 4 metres from the house. The patio/flags meets the grass and lawn. The flags slope into a corner. The recent bad weather has made that corner get clogged up and a huge puddle. It's only about 2 metres from the house the big puddle which worries me. The flags are just sat on the soil. If I took the corner flag and one next to it up. Dug to a decent depth. Filled with gravel. Would that help the drainage? Also I would like to put the flags back. So how would I go about that. Gravel and then sand then the flag. Would the sand allow the water to drain through?

2. Michaelsf90

Michaelsf90 Member

Here's a picture

Attached Files:

3. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

can only get better give it a go
    better a land drain with chippings around to serface water drain

4. Michaelsf90

Michaelsf90 Member

The drain for the house is a fair way away and it would be major work. Plus the drain grid is higher so it would need some kind of pump. I'm thinking easiest

5. Michaelsf90

Michaelsf90 Member

And quickest and what will work and not cause any long term damage. Is it possible to put the flag back on top?

6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Could install gully & run pipe to a soakaway to bottom of garden somewhere near that red shrub,what's beyond that.

What soil you got there.

7. Michaelsf90

Michaelsf90 Member

You don't have to go deep to hit clay. The rest of the garden is fine. It's just that's where the flags slope to so it's a problem. Would the gravel work as a natural drain?

8. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

Gravel will work to a certainly degree but it all dependant on how porous the ground is. If the ground is clay then it won't be very porous, therefore the hole will fill with rainwater quicker than it can soakaway.
    Certainly give it a go and see if it makes a difference,as there's not really a cheap solution otherwise. It'd mean installing proper drainage ( which you've already stated would be major work). Or installing a proper soakaway which would need sizing up properly by a company who does perculation tests

9. Michaelsf90

Michaelsf90 Member

I was thinking of digging down a metre underneath two flags. The gap between the fence and flags diy down there. Fill with gravel. Then place the flags back on top. So the water can easily go down the gap between the fence and flag and it'll have all that depth underneath the flag to soakaway. Surely it's got to help?

10. ecoplumbing

Yep, it'll certainly help. Just make sure you line the hole with landscaping fabric and fill with 20mm stone . Cover the top with more fabric then sand/flags back on top.
    I'd probably put a few buckets of water in the hole first , it'll give you an idea how porous the ground is.

11. Severntrent

Severntrent Active Member

What's so serious about standing water it will be gone within a day

12. Michaelsf90

Michaelsf90 Member

It goes within a few hours. Today was so bad the rain was up to the brickwork on the house. It isn't that bad just don't want the subfloor flooding or water getting into the cavity through the air vents. Is their a specific stone that would be better to use. Limestone chippings? Just standard gravel? Type 1 stuff? What would be best

13. ecoplumbing

Doesn't really matter what type of stone is used. So long as it's 20-30mm and clean - might be worth giving the stone a quick wash down, just helps the soakaway clogging up. Personally I tend to use limestone or pea gravel

14. dinkydo

dinkydo Well-Known Member

Michael I have almost the exact same problem as yourself, the back garden is not very porous and has quite a lot of clay, the patio slopes slightly to the lawn but the lawn slopes significantly more towards the flagged patio, under normal rain it isn’t a problem but under heavy continuous rain I am left with the area where the lawn meets the patio under water for the length of the lawn & patio about 5mts, last Friday when we had torrential rain and some flash flooding around here it extended back to the house, it does drain over a few hours if the rain stops.

So like yourself was gonna try the cheap option first and dig a 30cm x at least 60cm along the length of the lawn fill with stones then perhaps 5cm soil then turf & hope for the best. just a bit worried about digging this trench as I’m no spring chicken but the son in law can help.

I’ve got a landscaper drainage guy coming on Friday to have a look & give his opinion