Grout haze will not come of glass mosaic easily - what can I use?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by lokkie, Mar 10, 2020.

1. lokkie

lokkie Member

Hi,

Just installed some glass mosaic tiles.

Read lots of forums first, and having grouted them in, left them for 15 mins before wiping with a sponge, repeated this 30 mins later, and then about an hour later.

This left a very faint haze which I left until today to remove...only it is proving very difficult!

The mosaics are glass, but what I hadn't realised is that the larger brick is glass front with paper image stuck on behind, smaller silver brick looks to have had a silver paint/layer put on top.

The larger block requires some elbow grease, but haze should come off fine, the smaller silver bricks are a nightmare, and it literally takes up to two minutes to clean one silver brick with lots of rubbing with a wipe, and then finishing with paper towel.

There are over 400 of these little silver bricks needing to be cleaned.

Is there a product I can use (a spray maybe), which won't stain (it is grey), and won't damage the face of the silver bricks (they seem pretty robust against a wipe, don't know aggressive a spray chemical would be)?

Any advice appreciated (image attached).

IMG_1006.JPG

2. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Watched a tiler many years ago and he wiped tiles over with WD40 to clean the dried grout off.....it worked and the tiles looked amazing. Today we have microfibre cloths which can be used to polish up the tiles after applying WD40.

3. lokkie

lokkie Member

Like the sound of that, bit concerned the grout might soak of the WD40 and stain?

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Try regular grout residue remover available from any respectable tiling shop. If that doesn't shift it, try a bit of brick acid. Start with it really diluted, and carry of increasing dose until it works.

Jitender likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Done it myself a few times and not had a problem, apply the WD40 to the cloth and try in an inconspicuous area first.

6. lokkie

lokkie Member

Thanks both, have WD40 to hand so might try on one or two in a hidden corner, if no go will try regular grout remover!

7. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Member

FWIW, I've been using both neat and diluted sugar soap to clean just about everything lately. Usual caution applies.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There are some scourer pads available to remove the haze.

Dont use coarse one as it will leave scratches on the surface of glass.

Consider sealing the grout lines with grout sealer spray.

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Methylated spirit and white towelling rag, never use coloured rag it will stain grouting.