Grouting bevelled Metro tiles - what is best method?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Anthony Bodle, May 9, 2020.

1. Anthony Bodle

Anthony Bodle New Member

Does anybody have a good way of cleaning up excess grout from the "valley" where adjacent tile bevels meet? And still leave an even looking grout line?

My grout float removes the excess off the flat face as usual, but the valley is the problem. I've tried the grout float, a squeegee that is bendier, and a wrung out grout sponge. That all takes a long time which limits how much tile area I can do each application before the grout starts to get too firm.

Common advice says don't run your float along the length of the grout line, else you risk dragging it out, but 45 degree strokes don't clean the valley.

Also should you run a profiler along the grout line for a consistent finish, or just sponge it?

I am using Mapei white ready mixed waterproof tile and grout on white metro tiles with 3mm spacer brick bond, for my shower room. Working on my own I didn't want to have to keep mixing up small batches of grout powder.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Cheers
    A

2. Isaac Cox

Isaac Cox Member

A silicone profiling tool will work. Metro tiles are a PITA. So much grout to keep clean as well...

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

and look like a public toilet. sorry. :eek::eek::eek:

4. Thats true, last year we decided to do our kitchen in metro, most of Saturday was taken up fitting them, Sunday morning I got up, had a look and thought the room looked like one of those old underground toilets but I put the thought to one side and cracked on doing the final bits.

Half hour later Mrs Tux came in to have a look and and decided they looked like a gentleman bathroom, so the rest of Sunday was spent removing them.

Mrs Tux had seen a gentleman's bathroom in a film, so she says.....

Mr Rusty and WillyEckerslike like this.
  5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Mrs Rusty suggested them for our bathroom. Fortunately we agreed that a flat white tile with just a slight ripple was far nicer. I really can't see the attraction, apart from the fact so many pubs (remember them) have Metro's in the bogs, they are just a PITA to fix anything straight to - Shower screen anyone? I don't hate many things, but have a particular aversion to metro tiles.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I couldn't agree more. If I cannot talk a client out of having them I get them to find someone else to install them.