Grouting slate floor tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by countdown, May 19, 2005.

1. countdown

countdown New Member

Can somebody tell me the best way to do this?
    For ceramics, I normally wipe the grout all over the tiles to stop any "picture framing", but looking at the slates, with all those edges, I think this method will leave grout in all the nooks and crannies in the salate surface. I plan to use Arduflex grout, and BAL Fastflex (slates on over boarded hall floor).
    Thanks

2. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Mudster is the expert on this, but I seem to remember reading that you should seal the slate first, before grouting, or you will not be able to clean the grout off the surface.

BB

3. countdown

countdown New Member

Hi BB
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have sealed all the slates with Lithofin, and they are drying in the garage at the moment.
    I was wondering if you kind of point them with grout to overcome getting grout in the nicks? or does the grout wash off as with ceramics?

4. jasonb

jasonb New Member

If the slates have a very riven surface I tend to use a pointing method rather than a grout float. The grout will still clean off the sealed stone but it takes a bit more work to get all the grout out of the nooks & cranies.

Make sure you have flexible adhesives & grout, wide joint if the gaps are over 5mm wide and deep.

Jason

5. countdown -As Jason says, you can point them with trowel if they are rough cut riven slates natural, or if they are machined then use your grouting float, either way pay attention to where the excess grout is going & remove with a damp sponge prior to final clean, when fully dry 24hrs min. apply sealer to whole floor incl.grout. Remember to apply the sealer with a fine roller and roll horizontally and vertically on each coat, as you'll achieve an even finish throughout, as opposed to applying say just horizontally twice, as when you lay them, you may end up with a chequerboard effect in certain lights. :)

6. countdown

countdown New Member

Thanks chaps.

7. JS3500

JS3500 New Member

Have you thought of liquid grout ? Can't for the life of me remember the name of the stuff but basically pour it into the gaps, finds it's own level - job done.

Used it years ago on a slate floor with good results.

8. countdown - with respect here's a conundrum for you, ref the above "liquid grout"

------------L----O----L---O---X----B----
    hope that helped m8 :)

9. Washboy

Washboy New Member

Not so fast - I came across 'liquid' grout , if thats the word, in france and Spain. I think it was basicly very watery grout, almost as runny as slc. May have had something to do with the heat. Not sure i'd want to use it on riven slate though; I think a stiffer, drier mix would be easier. or a grouting gun - but not too fond of them..

10. Washboy

Washboy New Member

By the way - never have come across 'picture framing' with cermaics. You sure about that??

11. countdown

countdown New Member

Picture framing was mentioned when I did a training course with Ardex.

Anyway, laid and grouted up using a stiffer than normal grout (Ardex FL wide joint) and made sure I washed each slate very carefully. Job done and if I say it myself, looks rather good!!

Thanks for guidance and input.

12. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

OK M3, you've kept us waiting long enough! please reveal todays conundrum.

13. don't be silly, you know it really bstyle, you're just trying to get my thread moderated "xollob" backwards :)

14. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I'll be tuning in next week for another conundrum!!

15. Consonant please Carol

16. Ok here we go:

ST*A*N*E*LA

:)

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Are the gaps a clue ?

Mr. Handyandy - really

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Is this a real word ? Or is it a con ?

If it is, that's silly !

Mr. Handyandy - really

19. real word...
    cryptic clue - water dog had the power many more times his own weight..............???