Grundfos PCB alarm?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Charles Buckley, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Charles Buckley

Charles Buckley New Member

Hi, I'm currently adding a small toilet room in the cellar and I've purchased the Grundfos Sololift2 WC-1 for toilet and small sink. Before doing a full install, is it worth getting the PCB alarm for the unit (Grundfos part no. 97772315)? What are the benefits? And more importantly has anyone got one and has it been worthwhile / prevented a disaster? Cheers in advance.

2. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

It just lets you know when the tank has reached an abnormal high level of foul water etc,the built in alarm is not as loud (even less if the macerator
    is concealed) as a smoke alarm :( if you opt for the optional alarm get the installer to test the alarm in your presence so you know what it sounds like it may be similar to smoke/carbon monoxide alarms.

They are just an early audible alert,gives the user some time to contact their plumber. A correctly installed & maintained macerator does not need the alarm 1000's of them fitted but the alarm is a good sales add on.
    :)

just pumps and Charles Buckley like this.
  3. Charles Buckley

Thanks for your quick response, really appreciated.
    I've spent a lot of time working out the best position and pipe work for it, going so far as too designing an access panel at the rear of the unit in a utility room wall for emergency / servicing.

I was going to use a 1.5m 22mm Flexi tap connector for the waste (connected to 22mm copper off cuts at each end) running into a 40mm pipe that runs approx 3 metres into the soil stack. The macerator is draining off on the same levelfloor level (not vertical). Pipework has the correct deg for run off. Would this be ok?

4. just pumps

just pumps Well-Known Member

Err, 22mm flexi on the waste outlet, have I read that right? If so then look at the bore size of the flexi.

Charles Buckley likes this.
  5. Charles Buckley

Hmmm, you did read that right :confused:. The bore size is 13mm. Guess that's going back to the store.

Could I use 22mm plastic (Floplast / Hep2o / JG)? Any ideal solutions?

6. The Teach

Running the macerator outlet directly to and fitting an independent tapping into the soil pipe has its advantages ;)

Have always used 32mm solvent pipe & fittings

:)

just pumps and Charles Buckley like this.
  7. just pumps

22/32/40mm, always read the instructions.

8. John Hind

John Hind New Member

Having just spent an enjoyable morning removing sewage from my shower pan, I am inclined to say it is definitely worth it!

In my case the Impeller/grinder had stuck and following the service instructions freed it. But it did get me thinking: what if you flush the toilet or run the shower or wash basin during a power cut? Surely the same would happen, and this is quite a likely scenario because people are not used to being unable to use water when electricity is off.

I am no plumbing expert, but I do know electronics and judging from the published pictures, the 97772315 unit does not have any backup power and would not sound if the mains is off. Also the best price I could find was over £60 with VAT and without installation, which is daylight robbery for what this is. I recon it can be made for less than a tenth of that cost, indeed if it had been fitted as standard on the main PCB it would not raise the cost of manufacture noticeably at all!

I guess I'll just have to train the family to listen for the sound of normal operation (which is really very loud)! I could kill the builder who did not think to fit a standard sewer pipe to the en-suite which could easily have been done if it had been thought about when laying the foundations of my new-build house!

9. just pumps

Sounds like you had a NRV failure if you got foul water in the shower tray.

Saniflo do a battery powered alarm (£30) which you will hear if you are in the room but the water level in the pan tells you everything you need to know imho.
    Grundfos macerators are noisy compared to some.

The Teach likes this.
  10. John Hind

John Hind New Member

Thanks. The motor was definitely stalled (was giving a low humming noise rather than the usual racket until I freed it up with a screwdriver). But the NRV could be jammed open as well. Will do more checks. I take it the water should just back up in the toilet pan if you flush with the motor not running?

Battery alarm sounds better (both price and function) but I guess it only works with a Saniflo macerator?

11. just pumps

Yes it should but they fail to completely close unless cleaned during a service visit which most people don`t do, fit an external NRV to the pipe from the shower if you can. Sani alarm will work if you fit it in the correct place.

12. The Teach

seen a few low level shower trays filling with macerator slurry,even with a bleeping alarm :(

the idea is to fit the macerator output pipe into a part of the drainage that will cause the least inconvenience,with some onsite thought it can be done.
    Maybe more onsite thought and a macerator may not be required,have removed many in favour of traditional soil waste plumbing or convert to a pumping station.
    the shower tray has actually helped by creating a holding reservoir for a defective macerator,there a basic machine but need some professional ;)tlc

:cool:

13. just pumps

14. John Hind

John Hind New Member

Just for clarity, in my system (which I inherited and did not have any say in designing) the waste outlets from the shower pan and the washbasin are plumbed together into the macerator and the toilet is plumbed into the macerator on a separate pipe. The outlet from the macerator then goes off presumably into the sewer pipe in the main bathroom which is just about three metres away on the same ground floor level. When I flush the toilet with the macerator running, I can see water running into the shower sump though it gets pumped out again before it rises into the pan itself. I guess this means the NRV on the shower/washbasin pipe at the macerator is not functioning. A backup NRV sounds like a good idea, and maybe another to stop sink water draining into the shower pan.

15. just pumps

All signs that the system including pipes have a problem so for now fit the extra NRV`s if you can.

16. kiaora

kiaora Well-Known Member

Hi
    We have a rule 1. Never fit a saniflow (or similar) unless absolutely the only way get the installation done.
    Rule 2. Never fit a saniflow or similar, ( just redesign the plumbing system, there’s always a way.)

they just ain’t natural,

ok, you get it, : it’s my pet hate
    ☹️

good luck
    Peter

17. The Teach

Maybe a review of the existing installation by a clued up expert consultant technician will offer an alternative installation method,This helps to provide information that the original install is either fitted to the best standard or maybe an alternative is available.

diy has it limits but everyone knows tahtsshat :)

Maybe maybe diy disasters or diy installations have a special clause under claims procedures.great stuff !