GU10 bulb rated 4.5w. Can I replace with 5w GU10? LED bulbs

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by 8768b, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

As GU10's are 240v pretty sure you can put any wattage LED you like in your fittings ......

Don't forget, these lights would have been Halogen in the pre LED times, so much higher wattage, by about 10x

BUT i do not think you need the 15w ones. Up to you tho.

2. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Good luck with your choice.....:)

3. 8768b

8768b New Member

@Tilt
    Thanks again. The lights have the orgial bulbs ie LEDs from day one. I recall the builder saying we chose "expensive lights" . By that I guess he means expensive as they were fire rated and led for the kitchen - thinking back they did cost a few bob when compared to the ordinary lights and I think we just got used to the lighting and liked it from day one.

4. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

You are welcome pal. :)

5. 8768b

8768b New Member

I manged to get hold of a secondhand bulb that is exactly the same.
    What bulbs do others recommend IE daylight GU10 bulbs.
    I've noted when looking for these bulbs they had the angle of light as well.

As I said ours have metal surround and three LED lights. I've noted most new bulbs come with one light unit
    and white, plastic surrounds that look cheap.
    Philps do bulbs that look ok but cant really find 6000k 4.5w to 10w bulbs they look better.

6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

There was when LED first came out a GU10 L2 I think, it had a dimple in the GU10 base and a spike in the holder so you could not fit non LED bulbs, it was to conform with building regulations, and was latter dropped, so some old fittings will not take new bulbs.

The bulb has a colour temperature rating, 5000k for example, my smart bulbs seem to have a LED with low colour temperature and one with a high colour temperature and software allows one to select how much of each, so you can set it, older bulbs seem to be 6500k, you can get special DC versions, so often they have on them 50/60 Hz which just says designed for AC, the angle of light also varies, but the sample in front of me does not give the angle, EU law says they must show watts and lumen, the lumen per watt can vary from 60 to 110, but I have never worried about it except in a caravan. The length can also vary, some are 74 mm it was when the holder designed for compact fluorescent lamps, most are 56 mm.

Some can be dimmed with a wall mounted dimmer, if they can't it should have this sign Not-for-dimmer-switch.jpg however that does not mean can't be dimmed, it only means can't be dimmed with dimmer switch, mine can still be dimmed with an app on the phone.

Max size is down to heat, and a 5 watt at 60 lumen per watt produces more heat to a 5 watt at 110 lumen per watt, the same was true with the halogen versions, they had different reflectors, but I have not seen any holder which would over heat with an LED bulb, so one can forget about it. However the spread of light does seem to vary, my old kitchen had a fluorescent lamp, 65 watt, we were forced to use 58 watt and then went to 22 watt LED, however my son decided he wanted a modern look so went to GU10 lamps, it needed 16 to get the spread even with a high ceiling, he used a small wattage around the 4.5 watt, but that means 72 watt, and does not look any brighter than with the original 65 watt fluorescent, in lumen now around 6400 lumen and was around 5800 lumen, but the problem is the spread of light, the fluorescent reflected off the white ceiling, the GU10's don't so less light spread around the room, more light absorbed by the floor.

So the lumen rating is not that helpful, I use GU10 in the kitchen in 4 pods aimed at dark areas, but change the angle of light and you may need more or less lights.

Personally I don't worry, if it fits in the holder I use it, the main requirement is the little suckers upload_2023-5-26_6-47-37.png will stick to the bulb to assist in fitting, not really worried about the watts.