GU10 CFL trial

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Adam Amp, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Adam Amp

Adam Amp New Member

I'm currently carry out a trial of the GU10 CFL's in my kitchen before risking using them on site and being called back by disgruntled customers.

Tried the Halolite 11W Cool white £8.59 (8000 hours)available from our hosts.

I found these gave a very blue light like bright moonlight. I was disappointed with the light output, not really bright enough for kitchen. Out of the severn I bought one never worked another failed within two days. Would not recommend these :(

Megaman 11W warmwhite £8.21 (discounted trade price my local independant wholesaler, Abbey Electrical) prefered the warm light seem to output more light than the Halolite no failures so far :)

Anyone else have any feed back on GU10 CFL's

2. Have fitted hundreds of the Megaman 11w. 2 colours are availible, One 'a bit pink' and the other' a bit blue'. Had no problems. Had good fortune to swap over a mixture of lights recently. Large reception hall with over 100 lights (not my stupid design) One end 35,GU10 11W CFL, middle 35,50w GU10 halogen, other end 35,50w 12v halogen. The 12v halogen were by far brightest. Next were the 11w GU10 CFL which were about 80% as bright and last were the 50w GU10 which were half as bright as the 11w CFL. I didnt bother getting the light meter out as the results were obvious. I have also used the Megaman dimmable 11w GU10 CFL. Not bad. They have even invented a new word, the box states they are 'Dimmerable' lamps. Only draw back for all the 11w CFL is it can take up to 3 min to get to full brightness

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

those dimmerable ones look really good.

But the output of the CFL GU10s is about the same as mains, some figures from DIYnot:

Low Voltage = 1050 lux
    Mains GU10 = 285 Lux
    CFL = 285 Lux

4. fooman

fooman New Member

if someone could invent some 12volt ones we would all be laughing.

5. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Quick not to say thank you Adam Amp for an interesting and valuable thread, it is what this forum should be all about. No smart-*** postings, no small minded twits.... wait for it....

6. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

Makes a change Ray.

7. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

I am AMAZED Welshy! Do you think that at long last that peace and tranquility and sensibility reigns here at long last?

8. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Quick not to say thank you Adam Amp for an
    interesting and valuable thread, it is what this
    forum should be all about. No smart-*** postings, no
    small minded twits.... wait for it....

Tottaly agree Rabbit, good informative thread.

We could all do with more of these, well done Adamamp

9. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Tks

and thanks to SlipSlap & Jimbo. Usefull stuff.

10. Adam Amp

Adam Amp New Member

Thanks for the feed back and comments.
    On the whole it's still a good forum. Over the years I've gained some great tips from the many quality contributers. It's also good to have a good balance of banter some of it makes me LFAO.

The best way to deal with the few idiots is to totally ignore them once we respond, they get what thay want:_|

A.A.

11. Adam Amp

Adam Amp New Member

Tried the Halolite 11W Cool white £8.59 (8000
    hours)available from our hosts.

I found these gave a very blue light like bright
    moonlight. I was disappointed with the light output,
    not really bright enough for kitchen. Out of the
    severn I bought one never worked another failed
    within two days. Would not recommend these :(

Megaman 11W warmwhite £8.21 (discounted trade price
    my local independant wholesaler, Abbey Electrical)
    prefered the warm light seem to output more light
    than the Halolite no failures so far :)

Update on my ongoing trial.
    Yet another Halolite CFL has failed 8000 hours MTBF MFA (mean time between failure)(my f*ing a*se):^O

From my experience of the 7 lamps I bought one never worked, and two have failed in less than a month. I would advise if you want to avoid callbacks, avoid Halolite GU10 CFL's.
    Looks like Megaman is the way to go with no failures so far, and in my opinion, though not measured, better light output.

12. X

X New Member

Anyone else have any feed back on GU10 CFL's

In my experience the results from all the many flavours of CLF's are disappointing to say the least (apart from the running costs that is) either the perceived light output is low / colour is strange / warm up time is unacceptable after the CLF has aged 6 months.

13. gazza2

gazza2 New Member

can recommend the 21LED bulbs that you can get on EBAY, have installed 16 in the kitchen ( replacing 8 50W normal bulbs) , however at 2watts each the saving is enormous, and have found that with twice the number of bulbs the light is about the same.

These are the way to go, forget the CFL's they fail too quick.

The LEDs, have been going strong now for 5 months and no issues so far

14. fooman

fooman New Member

15. gazza2

gazza2 New Member

the 21led & some of the 30led ones fit into standard fittings whereas the bigger ones dont - bear that in mind - but otherwise i have seen 48 & 60 led ones which are extreemly bright