Gu10 downlighters issue

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Alexbolger, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Alexbolger

Alexbolger New Member

I live in a rented property my landlord has just had a new kitchen fitted. The 6 downlighters are really dim.. I assumed this was because he would have used low wattage LED bulbs.. but as I started to take them out I realised the other bulbs got brighter the more bulbs I took out until there was just one bulb left it was really bright! How is this so? Does it mean they haven't been wired in right? Is it dangerous? A fire hazard?? As they are even 400lm (10watt) LED bulbs are really dim when all six are fitted!!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sound like the been wired in series, not parallel.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Go back to your landlord and report it to him. Its his problem, not yours.

4. Alexbolger

Alexbolger New Member

So I take it that means the false ceiling would need to be ripped down and start again? I don't understand how when 6 bulbs are in they go really dim though each bulb is only drawing 10 watts so 6 is still only 60.. even if they are in serious surely it should be enough power for them??

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

As long as all wiring / terminal connections are accessible the ceiling won't be an issue. If you want to learn more about wiring in series / in parallel then you can swot up on it ,but kiab has hit the nail on the head.

6. eric the fish

eric the fish Member

If they were wired in series, then if you took one out then the rest would go out.

E the F

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  7. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If they are low voltage, 12Volt, then there are to many lamps on the transformer, overloading it and pulling the voltage down.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Tell us what lamps (bulbs) are fitted and / or post a picture of lamp details. Specifically 240 or 12v lamps

Who fitted the new lights ?

9. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

It wasn't an electrician who did this job any spark who did this would have known straight away something was wrong, he either didn't check lights upon turning power on or thought nothing was wrong either way he is a buffoon!!

10. Alexbolger

Alexbolger New Member

They are gu10 240v ...i tried a halogen in... It didnt even come on at all!! I have a horrible feeling the ceiling will need to come down... They put it up then plastered the walls up to it!!! Crackers... I might pay for a second opinion then charge it to the landlord. I doubt i will see any safety certs

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They should be able to fish any wires through the down lighter holes.
    It's the landlords problem.

12. Sparkielev

Have you turned any other lights on in the house while the kitchen lights are still on

13. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You lot need to go back to electricians school
    If they are wired in series, and he takes a lamp out, then NONE OF THE REMAINING LAMPS WILL BE LIT!!!

There’s something else wrong.

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  14. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

As soon as those first lamp was removed it would be darkness.

15. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Sounds like all the lamps have been wired in series as a whole to a second light or device.

Bazza likes this.
  16. Are the lights in other rooms working ok.

17. Alexbolger

Alexbolger New Member

Yes all good in other rooms.. the fact that one of the bulb sockets can't provide enough power for one 35 watt halogen bulb is a real worry.. the whole circuit only has enough power to maintain one LED bulb (which is 10 watts) at full brightness. when you connect other bulbs to the same circuit they all start to dim... an electrician suggested to me crossed polarity or bad termination both of which can be a fire Hazard.

18. Sparkielev

Crossed polarity somewhere as I said earlier this wasn't done by anyone that's competent tell your landlord you are getting someone in who is competent and you will be taking it out of his rent

19. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

A 240v LED will work down to a lot lower than 240v ... if there is a wound or electronic transformer in the circuit then the voltage may be down at 40 v perhaps. That may be enough to light some LEDs however it will be current /power limited and thus unable to supply enough for all six lamps so they will not fully illuminate and as they are removed one by one more power is available for each. It would also explain why a 240v halogen does not work.

I think back to the landlord to resolve.

20. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

If they are 240V GU10s, which will be AC, how will crossed polarity have any effect?