Gurgling bath trap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Shawsie, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Shawsie

Shawsie New Member

Hi,
    Bath trap gurgles when sink emptied.
    Plumber who installed has said the only way to rectify is to run separate waste pipes to the soil pipe or drain.
    I’m wondering if there is much less disruptive solution than this?
    For example, would an anti-syphon trap in the basin help? (Or would this only impact on the basin). Or would an air admittance valve between the sink and the bath work? If yes, can this be positioned near to the sink (before the pipe work goes under the floor?)
    Thanks

2. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

I would try an anti syphon trap on the basin first, it’s the easiest and cheapest thing to try. Your plumber is right though, bath and basins should ideally be ran seperately to the soil pipe.

nigel willson and Shawsie like this.
  3. ejenner

ejenner Member

I've seen people put a vent under the bath at the high point before the bath joins the wall (i.e. the opposite end to the taps and drain).

I've got a similar problem with my washing machine and dishwasher drains. They both do it and there's quite a lot of noise if both machines are running in either room at the same time. Gurgle gurgle gurgle...!

I'm thinking of using the vent pipe solution but I'll mount them outside the house where the waste pipes exit the building.

Shawsie likes this.