Hall and landing lights not working as they should

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Tricky631, Oct 12, 2018.

1. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

sorry is it a new switch that you swapped with or second hand

2. Tricky631

Tricky631 New Member

It was a new switch I swapped it with

3. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

is this switch on the landing

4. Tricky631

Tricky631 New Member

Yes, this switch is on the landing

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Did the lights work when you put the spots in ? Or did you change spots and switch at the same time ?

6. Tricky631

Tricky631 New Member

The switch was changed some months ago, the spots we put in last weekend hoping at the same time I would be able to figure out what I had done wrong because we had floorboards up to do the hall spots and access to the loft to do the landing spots so I figured I would have access to all the wiring and could follow the fault back..... I was wrong!

7. Sparkielev

I can only guess but you say landing lights only work when hall lights are on that tells me you either mixed strappers up or landing needs a live to the switch ie a link find your live in the switch and put a link in, the single greys are switch only so put link from L1 to L1

8. leginsnave

leginsnave Member

Check your new switch terminals. I have come across a 2 way switch in the past where the common and L1 terminals are next to each other and the L2 terminal was at the opposite end. I can't see the terminals markings in the photo as it's a bit blurred. You must make sure that the single core is in the common regardless of the position it is on the switch.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

As you have not altered any cables on the switches downstairs ,just focus on the new one upstairs. You appear to have put some labels on some conductors to identify them ,hopefully you did that before you disconnected them from the old switch , please confirm .The two red conductors ( with outer grey sheath) that connect to common on each gang ,are not labelled ,switch them around and advise the result please. Please note older MK switches have ,L2 and ,L1 reversed.

10. Tricky631

Tricky631 New Member

Hi, I've switched the common wires over and it swaps which lights turn on i.e. the landing light side of the switch now operates the hall lights

The labels on the wires are from checking the continuity I labelled them up as I was going along. I check continuity between all wires between the landing light switch and the hall light switch -

I have red wires labelled 1and 3 and a back wire labelled 2 and no label on the other black wire as it wasn't continuous, there was no continuity between either of the grey wires on the landing switch and the grey wire in the hall switch (the other grey wire is a link between the 2 gangs on the hall socket)

The red number 2 and black number 3 are connected to the on the left-hand gang (looking at the front of the switch plate) and correspond upstairs - this operates the hall light in the expected way

The red number 1 and the black without a label are in the right-hand gang and operate the landing lights from the hall but only from the landing if the hall switch is on

Sincerely appreciate everyone's input today, you're all being great helps

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Glad your sorted , i for one cant follow the info in all the posts ,but if all is working fine let it be. Lesson for today..... Mark all the conductors before disconnecting

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Just a thought ,are your hall and landing lights both on the same circuit ?

13. Tricky631

Tricky631 New Member

Hi sorry not working as expected, wrote the reply and to a previous post, went back to check and we had hall and landing lights on at the same time but replying to your post it kept the original reply too!

14. Tricky631

Tricky631 New Member

Yes hall and landing on the same circuit, marked up as downstairs lighting at the circuit breaker

15. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I must be imagining things. What happened to the post where you were sorted !!!! So we are back to square one then ??

16. Tricky631

Tricky631 New Member

I was premature on the celebrations! Back to square one!

17. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

There is something missing here ,or some info you have given is not correct. Do you still have the old switch from upstairs ,and was it working all good before you removed it ? If so re fit it as it was and tell us the result.

18. Tricky631

Tricky631 New Member

Thanks for the reply, I fitted the old switch and there is no change to the operation of the lights

I have taken a picture of the ceiling rose wiring in the hall today and drawn a rather crude picture of what I can tell so far With the only pens I had to hand! Where a wire is joined to a terminal this is where I know I have continuity

Thank to everyone who has input so far

Attached Files:

19. Sparkielev

One of your wires (red) doesn't look connected you need to make sure every wire is securely connected, to be fair it looks rough

20. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

23106-d2277efac28244d1ffa09498bf54fbcc.jpg
    This i assume is only a junction box/connection block, if so why is the upper switched live? On its own and not joined to the lower switched live.