Hall and landing lights not working as they should

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Tricky631, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

The 2 reds in no 1 should be in the hole side by side
    I assume one grey is perm live one is switch live

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Did you take a pic of the original connections in the hall rose before you removed it ,and presumably transfered the conductors to what are shown in todays pic ? If so please post it here.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

It seems to me that the two grey sheathed conductors in your terminal block may need to be swapped over. As your landing lights only work when hall light switches are in a given " on " position ,and the live supply to landing switches is via a bridge from com terminal on hall side ,that would indicate com is not permanently live .

4. Tricky631

Tricky631 New Member

Yes this is a junction box, sorry I should have said said the other grey wire is connected to the lamp

5. Tricky631

Tricky631 New Member

Each wire is connected securely, I rushed the connections to get a picture to post here, it's much tidier now it's back under the floorboards :)

6. Tricky631

Tricky631 New Member

No I didn't take a picture of the hall ceiling rose before I removed it, I had the floorboards up so transferred it to the junction box wire by wire as pulled them through the ceiling, I'm confident this is how it was.

7. Tricky631

Tricky631 New Member

I tried this before returning the junction box to the ceiling void, the result was not right, I can't recall what happened but it wasn't right at all!

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I would suggest that you confirm that the conductor in " com" ( the one that the bridge cable joins ) is permanently live. Do you have a multimeter or twin probed voltage tester ,and the know how of how to do this test on a live circuit safely ?

9. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Get a spark in he will sort it in 15mins are you north east ?

10. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

I'm in north east too

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But is tricky?

12. Tricky631

Tricky631 New Member

Unfortunately not, I'm in Leicester.

Thanks for all the replies so far, this has been such a great forum experience :)

I really appreciate all of you for giving your time freely to add your input - back to the grind this morning will take another look when I get home. Have a good day all

13. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

i would make light work of it.

14. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Then it surely should be wire for wire connection IE: Red/Red. Black/Black. Grey/Grey. G&Y/G&Y

Having the grey on its own in 2 is not offering anything to the wiring as it stands.

15. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Eh ??? Terminal 2 would be where the load live connects to ,and of course load neutral to the neutral conductors .

16. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

If its just a connection block as the OP has suggested, then a single wire going into one side of it and not coming out the otherside is pointless, surely.??

17. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Refer to previous posts from the op ,particularly...
    Op post 4.52 yesterday. The connector block is what replaced the ceiling Rose in the hall ,which he removed and fitted spotlights . he took pic in a hurry !! No load connected.

18. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Where's the load wire gone then ???
    As it looks as there only being two sets of t&e and two single grey wire what ever they may be, so if it replaced a ceiling rose ( can't see in post where it has) then what happen to the rest of the wires.

19. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What other wires ? The pic was taken before the load was connected , (his new spotlights not connected ).

20. Tricky631

Tricky631 New Member

This is correct, with the spots refitted the load live connects to terminal 2 and the load neutral to the neutral terminal.