Hallway ceiling plasterboard question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Docstar, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Docstar

Docstar New Member

Hi, I am planing on screwing 12mm plasterboard to my hallway ceiling to cover the old popcorn artex that is coating the existing one.

The hallway is long and thin, measuring 1.8 meters x 7 meters.

My question are:

Is it necessary to build a frame to attach the plasterboard to or can i just use the existing studs and board over the existing ceiling?

Do I need to "brickwork" the boards?

Either way my plan is to tape and plaster the joints (but not skim) then paint.

Would this give a good finish?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2. It depends which way the joists are whether you need a false ceiling or not. You would be able to use 6x3 boards without any waste, but do the job properly and get it plastered.

3. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

If you’re going to tape and joint rather than skim you need to use tapered edge plasterboards. As above 6x3 boards, if you put a framework up then the joists will be exactly where you require them;)

4. Docstar

Docstar New Member

Thanks, so what size/distance should the joists ideally be to use the existing ones rather than building a new frame?

5. Docstar

Docstar New Member

I take it putting up a new frame and plastering it is the best course of action?

6. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

If you’re going to skim it no need for framework or tapered edge board, but tape and joint is a damn sight easier if you’re diy ( no offence intended) :)

7. Docstar

Docstar New Member

I am defo a diy'er! So no offense taken

So if I was to do this correctly do you think a plasterer would be able to skim over the old artex and that would be that? Would probably work out cheaper too...

8. It depends if the joists are running along the hall or across the hall for fixings, and if there is a joist each side running the length each side if running longways.
    If not it might be easier to put in a false ceiling.

9. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Yes can skim over artex, but the prep time maybe as long as boarding it out and some plasterers won’t do it without boarding

10. Docstar

Docstar New Member

You will laugh at me but im an honest guy. Just discovered the "artex" is actually woodchip paper so going to scrap it off before I go any further. The plaster under it looks mint so will strip it and see what im dealing with first. Then call a plasterer in if need be.

Thanks so much for all your advise, im sure it will come in handy for the rest of the house!

11. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select