Hamilton microfibre roller HELP!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Lijong Tao, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Hi all

I bought some hamilton microfibre roller sleeves for emulsion and I have tried 3 separate roller cages and none fit, they just slip straight off the cage.

I have a wooden handled one, a Stanley on and a plastic handled one, (two generic) I have tried bending the cage a little to make it tighter but with the weight of the paint is simply slips off

Can anyone offer any help please? Thanks Li

2. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

PS. I got the Hamilton perfections.

3. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Astramax likes this.
  4. fillyboy

fillyboy Well-Known Member

Sounds like he's got 1.5" roller cages.

teabreak and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Yep.:)

Easy mistake.

6. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

Yes as said pro's tend to use 1¾ rollers, lots of DIY stores sell the 1½ size, because they are a bit lighter to use and cheaper.

7. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

No, just got up at that time of the morning and was on my way home!:p

Sound a mistake was made when buying sleeve and roller frame so nothing to add.

Jord86 likes this.
  8. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

I think I do have th 1 3/4 rollers. I bought them from the Dulux trade centre. I didn’t know there were different sized cages. I am doing a lot of decorating at th moment so what is th best cage to buy. Thanks for the help guys.

9. Astramax

The best one is one that fits the sleeve, take the sleeve back, explain the situation and get the correct size frame. If they sold you the wrong sleeve or roller frame a replacement would be the way forward.

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  11. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Wrap a piece of cloth around the roller you already have

12. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

OK Thanks everyone. Tomorrow I will use the cloth then get the right cage as I bought 12 Hamiltons.

13. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

I have sanded all the wood in the hallway, inc. door frames, bannister rails, basically everything.

I primed the bare wood with Zinzzer, then sanded the rough parts until it was all really smooth, like glass, yesterday we undercoated everything with Dulux trade undercoat. Now, do I need to sand again, just a little to make sure it's smooth for the Satin we are putting on as a final finish?

Oh, and will one coat of Satin do or will 2 look better? I don't mind doing it, I just want to do it right and make it look the best I can.

Thanks everyone. Twiddling my thumbs really looking for jobs to do so would rather do it right than twice.

14. Astramax

Two coats of satin minimum. Are you using the quick dry.

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

A very light sand between each coat is always best and, sounds like ur doing a pukka job so, why not eh !

P180 paper, not too much pressure, just quickly fly over the woodwork to remove any little bits picked up by previous coats and any raised wood fibres that sometimes pop up

Be careful on edges of frames/door stops as easy to remove undercoat and go back to bare wood again - go very light with the paper, just fly over the surfaces

Check over with ur fingers and you will feel if any areas need a little more attention but, sounds like uv been thorough with previous prep

Dust down and/or hoover and off you go again with the satin

Enjoy :)

16. teabreak

If you really want to go to town wipe down with a tack cloth to ensure it is dust free.

Astramax likes this.
  17. teabreak

18. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Thank you guys. I have tack cloths and P180 so sounds like I am doing it right. I will ensure I do two coats of the Satin, which apparently isn’t Satin, it’s Eggshell. Deluxe trade eggshell.

19. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Does eggshell look ok? I don’t want a gloss look would prefer completely Matt tbh. Thanks for the help sincerely

20. Astramax

You will be fine with Eggshell....... is it the quick dry eggshell?