Hammering radiator

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by phil downes, Nov 5, 2019.

1. phil downes

phil downes New Member

I recently replaced a single vertical radiator in my conservatory with a double one, since then the radiator hammers a lot, does it matter which side of the radiator has the water inlet? At the moment the bleed screw is on the right & the inlet is on the left, will turning it around so both inlet & bleed screw are on the left stop the hammering. It was a second hand radiator so inlet & outlet weren’t marked & I assume it matters as I have a new double radiator for a different room & its marked inlet & outlet

It doesn’t hammer all the time but depends on how many radiators are on as I have smart heating valves which heat rooms as needed

I when I changed the conservatory radiator I also replaced the motorised valve as it was jammed closed & I’m wondering if I now get more flow through the pump as it might have been not fully opening in the past might also be a factor

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

The radiator might have a flow and return side and some also have one end you pipe to. The vent and plug at top are irrelevant if to left or right hand.
    Your thermostatic rad valve could be causing hammering if on return.

just pumps likes this.
  3. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Yes it does make a difference but usually in the way the rad warms up (or doesn`t). Stand to be corrected but think if you insert a rod in the inlet and it only goes in a little before stopping then that is the inlet side where as if the rod goes in further then that is the outlet. Reason being water entering gets diverted to the top of the rad.

Heat likes this.
  4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

+1 for the above. A diverter plate often it installed in the flow (inlet) side to divert the flow upwards and prevent it just traveling out along bottom of rad