Handle change on uvpc window

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Bigvern, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Bigvern

Bigvern New Member

so handle is knackered on uvpc window’ I had to drill 2 retaining screws out and the case then just crumbled.
    The problem I have is that that handle will pull out of the frame because the 8mm square shaft is stuck in the mechanism inside the plastic I have sprayed it with plus gas and left it a couple of days but it won’t come out, I have tried hitting it to try and knock it in further to try and loosen it won’t budge

I am I missing some type of fastener in the frame ???

Thanks

2. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

There is no fixing. Its just a spindle into a square hole.

Do you live near the sea by any chance? Salt air makes this even more of a problem.

You have no choice but to just keep trying to pull it out. It will of fused to the gearbox with corrosion so may be almost impossible to remove.

Your very worst case scenario which I have done before is to get an angle grinder with a thin (2mm max) steel cutting disc and slip it up through the plastic right against the lock strip so that it cuts the spindle free. Yes this will leave a cit in yout frame but it wont really effect the use of the window and you can always fill it back with some silicone. If youre feeling adventurous you can heat some sort of steel tool and weld it back together in a fashion as thats exactly how PVC windows are fabricated. Perhaps a 3" nail heated up then criss cross it accross the gap until you can try and create a few joins, just to add strength back to the sash if you wanted to. Personally I wouldnt bother as its only going to be a 3 - 4 inch slit that youre cutting.