Hands up if you have voted?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by goldenboy, May 23, 2019.

1. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You've been fabricating things again then?
    Im quite sure that I've never employed you to do anythin for me.
    Why would you assume such a thing?
    Where do you get these ideas from?

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There you go again, if you wern't such a stalky, gaslighting kind of guy I might believe you but you are a stalking, gaslighting kind of guy as we all know from experience so...

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Then pray explain why French and German companies are backed by their governments, in clear contravention of the same EU rules which prevent our government propping up industries ?

4. joinerjohn1

Any instance of abuse by you or any other member, of another member will be reported chip. It's a fair warning, one which you seem to fail to heed regularly.

5. joinerjohn1

Anyway, early results are coming in and it's looking like the Brexit Party are doing well.

Heat likes this.
  6. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

They sure are!

Heat likes this.
  7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Looks like we have so far got a very good result for Leave.

Seems a poor overall showing for the Remainers as they claim to be a majority.
    Certainly, given the still not very high turnout, that the Remainers remained at home. Or did not have the hope of remaining after all.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

UKIP have been destroyed.

As have the Tories.

Greens and Lib Dems flying.

9. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Yes, UKIP have been a fairly pointless party in this, but their votes could count together as for to Leave.

Greens and Lib Dems doing very well indeed.
    Tories and Labour basically lost.
    Looks like we will simply end up with a 50/50 result for in or out.
    Those that voted Tory or Labour unknown really.
    Green Party woman on BBC this evening did not seem to realise the vote % for or against Brexit cannot be explained by just the Brexit party % vote alone.

gadget man likes this.
  10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Its nothing seismic.

Essentially UKIPs vote has just transferred to Brexit. Its just a clarification of what everyone knows. The nation is split down the middle.

Heat likes this.
  11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The Greens and the Lib Dems have been pretty consistent on opposing Brexit.

Their huge gains do indicate that opposition to Brexit is growing.

The Brexit vote is the UKIP vote plus some.

It doesnt bode well.

Both sides are fully entrenched.

12. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

It would seem that the majority of thoses who voted (higher turn out than last time) are still looking to leave the EU.

If you take all the votes for both Lab & Con into account and split them equally 50/50 as both remainers and leavers but couldn't bring themselves to vote for either Farage or Liberals so stayed true to their colours, then add the vote for green etc to the Lib vote, the overall number favour a leave vote.

So would anyone welcome a second Ref ?

Baxi Boy likes this.
  13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Some very suspect calculations there.

14. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If we accept the results of the EU election as a barometer of public opinion on the EU and staying or leaving, some interesting information may be extracted from the vote, both in GB and the rest of Europe.
    1/ The British electorate would favour a leave without a deal if no deal could be done.
    2/ The British electorate are fed up with the main Westminster parties and their inability to conclude Brexit.
    3/ A second referendum would once again return a vote to leave.
    On the wider geographical stage, in Europe we could also assume that,
    1/ The electorate are not happy with the direction that the EU is taking, seeing a Federal Europe on the horizon. The Nationalist vote is up.
    2/ Europe's overall economic performance is no longer growing, the electorate are concerned about this. (On this issue I went to Corfu, Greece a couple of weeks ago, it is a down beaten backwater showing all the signs of economic decline, what a change from previous visits).

This should be a wake up call to our Politicians, they were elected by the majority of the people to do the bidding of the majority of the people. With the forthcoming change in the leadership of the Conservative Party comes the opportunity to 'grasp the nettle' and get some meaningful result from this mess.

Bollerks likes this.
  15. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

I was offering an equal balance in the 50/50 remark.

Technically both party are leave as they voted for that with the article 50 vote.

Bollerks and Heat like this.
  16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Sorry Bob but you are drawing conclusions that the evidence simply doesnt exist for.

Can you show your working out that shows that the vote indicates a majority of the uk would agree with a no deal Brexit?

17. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

The way I see it is if you take 50% of Tory and Labour voters as wanting out and 50% favouring staying in then if you add up all the other parties in favour of leave/remain then its dead on 50/50 split.

However its fair to assume that 100% of Brexit and 100% of UKIP voters want a WTO/no deal, even without some of the tory and labour die hards wanting no deal as well then you've still got 35% of that 50% wanting no deal. That equates to 70% of the out voters.

So if there was a second referendum with a 2 stage vote that so many remainers are desperate for then if 50.1% of people voted out that vote would get carried forward and 70% of them would have voted for no deal.

Bearing in mind that the turnout for the EU election was pitiful compared to the referendum one, even some who passionately voted for Brexit didn't bother the other day, my mate was driving people to the polling station on referendum day when they said they wanted to vote out but couldn't get there, even he wasn't interested on Thursday, preferred to fit his new bathroom.

Just to point out that 30% of lib dems and 20% of greens voted out in the referendum , I've assumed that they are both 100% remain.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  18. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

More fiction regarding EU rules. It's all down to a choice our own politicians make. WTO may have something to say about it but even the USA disregard it - bailing out Ford for instance.

:) Why would Ford need bailing out. Simple the people in the USA have found that European and Japanese cars have their good points. The EU has allowed European car manufacturers to grow in size making them more competitive against the Japanese. :) Our car industry - another story some of which is stupid but size comes into it as well.

;) Size matters, as the saying goes. Many don't seem to realise how important it is.

John
    -

19. Broon

Broon Active Member

Going by the stats on BBC and using other peoples method of halving the Tory and Labour vote for remain and leave (which if we are honest isn't an exact science) has the leave vote at 46.5% and remain at 52%

The have the parties at:
    Bre - 31.6%
    Lib - 20.3%
    Lab - 14.1%
    Gre - 12.1%
    Con - 9.1%
    Ply - 1.0%
    SNP - 3.6%
    Chg- 3.4%
    UKIP - 3.3%

1 are still to come in.

I don't think we can also just assume that all those that voted for UKIP and the Brexit Party want a hard leave although it is likely. We can still see that Scotland is remain. I think it would be interesting if there was a second ref. I don't want one tho cause as a remain supporter even if we did win this time round there would be nothing but trouble.

20. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I know it is not a scientific survey, I did state clearly that my comments were based on the results of the EU elections as I saw them in the UK. It should be noted that I used ONLY the 'Farage' vote, others such as (Broom) have combined the other parties share to come up with a figure that shows Farage in the minority. That would be correct if all of the other parties could combine their vote in reality, which would be doubtful.