Hands up if you have voted?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by goldenboy, May 23, 2019.

1. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

In the same way you can not assume all who voted Lib & Green are remainers, some would have voted with their hearts and not voted Farage in any circumstances.

Look at areas of the uk and the way the vote went in them and its a very clear vote to leave.

Screenshot_20190527-105248_Samsung Internet.jpg

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

One thing is clear from this is that the nation is as split as it ever was.

This is such a huge issue that it needs a radical solution.

I despite voting for and "independently" campaigning to Remain do believe that for democracy to survive we have to leave in some form.

What cant be allowed though is for the winning side to decide the terms and conditions of our exit and ignore the wishes of the rest of the nation.

We need a move away from "enforcement" and a move to "consensus"

3. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Another thing I have heard blamed on the EU is things like people being sent on a course to learn how to use a step ladder. That as an example, Companies who do that do it so that if some one falls off and gets hurt they can hold the hands up high and say we did all that we could in the hope that it will reduce any compensation some unfortunate person might get. Or put it this way, as they could have sent them and didn't compensation would be higher.

John
    -

4. Broon

Broon Active Member

No I don't buy that. All that voted for Lib Dems and Green will be remain supporters as they have never hid about being remain parties if leave supporters didn't want to vote for their usual Labour or Tory party but didn't want to vote for Farage then it would be UKIP.

The reason why its difficult to conclude what way the country currently sits at or leans to is we don't know what the Labour and Tory supportes would vote for as both parties MP's are split never mind their voters. The rest have set out what they are in support for the other difficult area is trying to take in to account those that didn't vote but would if another Ref came up.

So yes we can read in the stats all day and taking both Labour and Tories out puts it at 34.9% leave to 40.4% remain the issue is you have nearly 25% of the vote just floating around. The only definite we can take is that Scotland is still in favour to remain.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Plenty need that training!

Watched a sparky hold a huge chandelier last week while standing on the top handhold of a 8 stepper.

Was half expecting Rodney, Del and Uncle Albert to walk in.

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  6. Broon

Broon Active Member

I completely agree there needs to be a consensus within the house which is why from the start the discussion should not of been the Tories responsibility alone for them to decide it should of include members from different parties in the house and from different parts of the UK. As I said Scotland clearly voted to remain and showed that again. We will need to wait for Northern Ireland and England and wales look to still be very close but leaning more to leave.

7. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

You also have to take into account the ones that will vote for a party no matter what they stand for, their parents voted for them and so did their parents before them, usually its the Labour lot that are like this. In my area the Tories came out on top but that's because not too far away is Altrincham and the surrounding areas, full of millionaire business types that grease the hands of Tory councillors, they will vote tory no matter what.

The other way is the Manchester centre area with areas like Beswick, Gorton, Rushholme etc. where Labour were victorious. not because of their stance on brexit or immigrants or anything like that, but because they will always ensure a big fat dole cheque lands on their door step every other Monday.

Bollerks and Heat like this.
  8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Northern Ireland votes are being counted from today. It was a proportional representational vote, so a complicated system.
    Vote there is for only 3 MEPs and will be a Sinn Fein and a DUP elected exactly as last time, but the other seat is fought for.
    Interestingly, previously the 3rd seat was UUP (Ulster Unionist Party) the now retiring Jim Nicholson.
    That party was for Remain, but is now supporting Brexit and is against the Backstop.

The election results are not to be taken as being precise on the Leave/Remain argument.
    For example, - my other half supports Remain, yet she voted UUP.

9. Bollerks

Bollerks Active Member

Well done Nigel!
    It is however,difficult to work out where we go from here. I see that the BBC is all over the results in an attempt to big up a second referendum - no change there then.
    I am hoping that we get a true Brexiteer PM who stalls until 31st October and Macron boots us out.

A single issue party has only existed for around 6 weeks and has managed to re transmit a resounding message to the establishment, yet nearly all of the handwringing pundits wheeled out last night during the results coverage by our state broadcaster still appear to be in an abject state of denial. No doubt they will tell us again that even this time round we did not know what we were voting for!
    The absolute arrogance of them!
    Oh, and it was great to see that the other new single issue party didn't even gain a seat!
    What part of Leave do these idiots not understand?

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    gadget man likes this.
  10. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

I don't read that is the same way. I voted. What to do. ;) My politics are my own business. I see that result as strong indication that people do not want a no deal exit / want something different to Farage. The Lib vote surprises me as look what happened last time they had a decent result. Rather than making use of it they swapped it for cabinet positions and company cars.

Halving the Tory and Labour vote isn't fair really either. Voting for Tory doesn't mean that people just want out full stop, maybe it does to some extent but the same can not be said for Labour. Those people really do want something different, Looked at this way Bre have been thoroughly swamped. To me it indicates what many pundits thought about the initial vote out - some saw it as an opportunity for a protest vote so voted out.

Anyway wouldn't surprise me if we hear chants of constitutional crisis. While neither side of the debate is happy about what parliament are doing they really should remember that we pay them to make sensible decisions for us. In this case that even seems to be interfering with party loyalties. That is rather unusual.

Me - well I voted labour as I think they have the correct approach. Some others are aiming at a pipe dream but another straight yes no in out referendum might well reverse the decision.

Tory Brexit core - they want out of the court of human rights. There aim for us once out seems to be another Singapore, maybe a tax haven. Standardising taxation as much as possible across the EU might sound daft but if parts offer say head offices or some sector of business distinct advantages that isn't fair. So it's being talked about. It's why many insurance companies are located in the Isle of Man. Fiscal policy needs some attention too. Some interesting numbers

Yes, Ireland has the highest debt per capita of any country in the euro zone. We owe €42,800 per head, more than second-placed Belgium (€40,048) and far more than either Italy (€37,849); Greece (€30,417) or Spain (€25,081).12 Sep 2018

;) Really weird Dublin is seeing a lot of money going in while we have austerity owing far less. Seems a lot of Italian debt is funded by their own country.

;) maybe it's some other Isle of but pretty sure it is Man.

John
    -

11. Bollerks

Bollerks Active Member

As another born in Dublin boy, I have never understood why Ireland fought vigorously for independence, and having achieved it they handed it pretty much straight to Brussels. Scotland is now fighting to do the same. Surely you fight for your independence to be err....Independent?
    The examples you give of the basket-case economies should serve to highlight the acute dangers of sucking from the eu teat. Like any form of welfare, It only serves to breed an unhealthy drug-like dependency.

Heat likes this.
  12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

So you're an immigrant?

13. Broon

Broon Active Member

I agree Heat we cannot read to much in to this result as there will have been a lot of protest votes and indeed just because someone votes for a party it does not always suggest if they are leave or remain. As I have said before the only definite we can take for certain is that if a second Ref was to happen Scotland would vote remain.

Heat likes this.
  14. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Money always pours into capitals rather than the rest of a country. Ireland have done pretty well in the EU. They are currently doing well in other ways due to Brexit. I spend some time in Pembrokeshire and have wondered about the ferry to Ireland. Locals tell me not to bother as they can't afford the beer. The locals there presumably can.

Vast amounts of money being spent in London has always bugged me. The excuse used to be because of the tax collected there. Well most of the "wealth" was generated in the Midlands but companies had their head offices in London - where the taxes are declared. ;) I feel sorry for the Welsh - loads is going into Cardiff there.

As I am probably posting along with many self employed trades people I'm inclined to point out what has happened to their income over the past say 30 years. Nothing to do with the EU again, Me well I was one of the employed for 40 odd years and am well aware of what has being going on there. Always in manufacture but the same thing has being going on every where in the UK.

John
    -

15. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Wonder if anyone knew this was going on. The true cost I have heard of was well in excess of $10 trillion for even part of an entire network of rail links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiwu–London_railway_line

Taiwan used to be a cheap place to have things made. That's were the company I worked for shifted all of it's paying production. Eventually Taiwan went up market, costing more so probably moved some where else. It will take China donkies years for the same to happen and may never as they will have a huge margin over other countries on just how much they can manufacture - mostly down to their own population and from supplying the whole world with cheaper goods.

:) We just finish up selling things to each other.

John
    -

16. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Very true John. Otherwise, your wallpaper might fall off.

chippie244 and Astramax like this.
  17. Broon

Broon Active Member

Who do we all think will get the Tory leader job?

18. Bollerks

Bollerks Active Member

Quote: BBC

"Were these results an overwhelming cry for us to leave the EU whatever the cost? Or a sign, with some slightly convoluted arithmetic, that the country now wants another referendum to stop Brexit alltogether?

Guess what, the situation is not quite so black and white, whatever you will hear in the coming hours about the meaning of these numbers

The Brexit Party's success was significant and Nigel Farage's new group is the biggest single winner.

But the Lib Dems, Greens, Plaid and SNP - all parties advocating the opposite - were victors too."

So BBC, how can we have 2 'Victors' when a competition only results in one winner and one or more losers?

What kind of sophistry is this?

I wonder what Dianne Abbot would make of the numbers? I hear that she wishes to congratulate the Royals on the birth of baby Archie, who weighed in at 8 pounds and 7 pence!

19. Bollerks

Bollerks Active Member

I just hope we get a brexiteer PM who will stall the brexit thing until the end of October when Macron will hopefully fight to kick us out in any case.
    This would help to reunite the country because hopefully it might enable the remain side to see the eu for what it truly is.

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

With the greatest of respect its precisely people like you who have caused and continue the utter polarisation and entrenched views.