Handyman Rates!

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Jamkellew, May 20, 2006.

1. Jamkellew

Jamkellew New Member

Hello all, looking to set up into this line, just curious about what the average handyman in business charges, hourly, daily or price a job, what best and how much to charge? thanks all.

2. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

When I do stuff it's £20 per hour with minimum of 3 hours pay. However, if it only take me say 1 hour to do the job and trvel is minimal then i'll knock the price down. I normally include fittings like screws etc in the price. Anything else they have to pay for.

Example being a woman had a dripping tap and couldn't turn it any tighter. I went there, removed the tap insert, took it to the plumbers who gave me a replacement for a couple of quid. Went back and fitted it. It took me a total of 30 minutes to leave home, do the job and get back again so I just charged her £30.

3. handyman.

handyman. New Member

£30 first hour, £17 thereafter for each day. So, £132 per day (7 hr day)

Materials are plus 25%........and some items you can buy bulk, you make even more. Always remember the customer should only know the BnQ price;)

4. STGO

STGO New Member

£25.00 per hour plus vat, eight hours a day = 200 quid plus vat @ 17.5% = £235.00 vat payable = £21.15 leaves me with £213.85 (flat rate @ 9%)

5. dunc

dunc New Member

I charge 15 an hour. This is okay if its a small job, maybe about half a day or less. Anything getting on for a days work its better to quote, otherwise there will be a sorry looking customer. Or worse you'll get followed about and spied on.

6. handyman.

handyman. New Member

£25.00 per hour plus vat, eight hours a day = 200
    quid plus vat @ 17.5% = £235.00 vat payable = £21.15
    leaves me with £213.85 (flat rate @ 9%)

are these london prices?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not London, Cuckoo land!

8. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

But where in the UK are you guys? Be interesting to get a rough idea as surely rates are going to vary up & down the country?

9. handyman.

handyman. New Member

cheshire for me

10. STGO

STGO New Member

£25.00 per hour plus vat, eight hours a day = 200
    quid plus vat @ 17.5% = £235.00 vat payable =
    £21.15
    leaves me with £213.85 (flat rate @ 9%)

are these london prices?

no, the cheapest in my area, the nearest one to my prices is 35 per hour, dunno how much work he gets though

11. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

sorry, ment to add, round here in Warwickshire £10 - £15

12. billy 2 mates

billy 2 mates New Member

Blimey £25 HR for handy man work can't be bad

13. Don't fall into the trap that the journalists do by extrapolationg the hourly rate by a 40 hour week and a 50 week year therefore assuming that every handyman earns £50,000 which is probably more then your bank manager....We all know it just deosn't work like that.

14. STGO

STGO New Member

absolutely true muddy, you are lucky to get 20 hours a week most weeks, so it is generally topped up with "other work

15. handyman.

handyman. New Member

my rates are for getting a full book of 5 x 7hr days, monday to friday. Also mabye 1 or 2 evenings of 1 hr, and the odd saturday morning.

Mainly just mon-fri.

Theres one of those franchised handyman companys near me who have all the trades under one name. They charge £38 for first half hour, then £19 per half hour thereafter!! I would guess the actual tradesman getting the work will get 50% of this

16. klunk

klunk New Member

I've know a someone that went for a job at one these handyman franchises, tracker on van any extra miles he had pay for had to provide his own tools use his own mobile and all for the grand wage of 5.40 a hour

needless to say he didnt take job

17. Mr Brabus

Mr Brabus New Member

I get between 130 - 150 per day depending on what's required. Usually I just quote for a job and leave it at that. Most I've ever had was when a customer called me in to finish off an ensuite bathroom that the previous guy walked out mid way through. I fixed a few small things round her house, she kept calling me back to see if I would fix the bathroom (total bodge) and since I was the only guy to turn up and not flat out refuse, she agreed to my day rate of £260 cash, payable in installments every 3 days.

Long story, but I re-did both bathrooms and it took me close to 15 days. Absolute kahunt of a job but the woman was always very pleasant. She did pay the last few installments in £5 notes though???

On the whole I make most of my money from the small jobs and snagging lists from new builds, which neither builder or factoring agent wants to repair.