hanging a punch bag bracket

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by wildcat_111, Apr 17, 2008.

1. wildcat_111

wildcat_111 New Member

My girlfriend recently purchased a punch bag and bracket for me, but i haven"t yet hung it on the wall as im not sure what kind of fixing bolt would be adequate.
    I"m told i need to fix the bracket to an external wall. I have picked my spot where i want the bag to hang.
    I have also been informed that i could use fischer bolts to fix the bracket to the wall.
    If anyone can confirm this or come up with alternative idea it would be much appreciated.

2. Mr Sworld

Mr Sworld New Member

3. wildcat_111

wildcat_111 New Member

Hi , thanks for ur reply. Will i need a good wall plug? Regards

4. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

No! It's a plug and screw combination.

5. wildcat_111

wildcat_111 New Member

cheers. just checked my bracket and unfortunately, the hole is only about 5ml. any ideas. Regards

6. Mr Sworld

Mr Sworld New Member

cheers. just checked my bracket and unfortunately,
    the hole is only about 5ml. any ideas. Regards

5ml? I assume you mean 5mm.

5mm? To hang a punch bag off? I don't know the exact weight of a punch bag but it'll take more than 4off. 5mm holes in the bracket!

7. wildcat_111

wildcat_111 New Member

Yeah i meant 5mm. i think the bag weighs about 40 lbs. Do u think i may get away with drilling the original holes to make them 8mm wide. Or would this weaken the bracket? Cheers

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Don't drill the bracket, just use screws & plugs.

9. wildcat_111

wildcat_111 New Member

I dont think normal screws will be strong enough to support the bracket and punch bag. I need something similar to a sleave anchor about 5 - 6mm.

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Just take the bracket to your local Pee & Poo and find the biggest fixings that will fix - think about it - it's designed to be screwed to a wall so the holes ARE the right size. Just buy the longestand sturdiest fixings that fix - easy peasy . ;)

11. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

:O Flip me, it's not exactly rocket science is it!

Drill hole, insert fixing tighten up. Job done .

12. GHettoLad

GHettoLad New Member

just use the longest screw you can find that will go through the hole on the braket.

13. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

10mmrawlbolt