Hanging doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jay_Kent, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Jay_Kent

Jay_Kent New Member

Is there an average number of doors(internal) which a carpenter should be able to hang in 1 day?

Does this include handles, door stops etc, also is that with router and jigs?

2. ­

­ New Member

Cheap internal doors possibly 8 in a day

Expensive heavy front doors with all the trimmings possibly just one a day.

3. parana

parana New Member

your opening up a can of worms here. there are many debates on this forum covering this subject and it generally gets a bit stupid. take it all with a pinch of salt. work it out to your daily rate and whatever you can comfortably hang. i personally feel around 50 for an internal give or take is about right SE kent you will probably get away with more, phone around and ask, if you have not already....

4. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

8 a day is probably right depending on doors and furniture.4 to 5 internals if u want to start after 9 and finish round 3.
    2 front doors a day shouldn't be a problem t5o decent joiner's.

but once again we have lads on here who charge £75 a door /supposedly.no doubt there just doing 2 a day then.
    go on doubting thomas' have your say.

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

clients get what they pay for

if they are only willing to pay 20 minuites labour to hang a door. what they get is ............. some "wood" in a hole.

75 services this end of the market

6. starlight tiles

1 internal really shouldn't take longer than 20 miutes to plane in and hang,.some of our lads time themselves ,12 minutes is the record.

7. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

IF my clients wanted £12 doors and ironmongery at £2 id be as quick as 75

8. Jay_Kent

Jay_Kent New Member

12 minutes! the linings must be bang on for square! and no carpets to consider! does that include the handles?

Do they Close!

I struggle to hang 6-8 depending who has fitted the linings and thats by hand no router.

9. starlight tiles

no fine frames.doors just fly in kid.

10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

jay

work for yourself at your rate of progress

your customers will find you cheaper than any builder

and you will be better off

builders make money by ripping off customers and tradesmen

11. Mr Bump

Mr Bump New Member

“Knock Knock!”
    “Who’s there?”
    “10 minute Door Hanging Carpenter”.
    “You’ll have to go round the back as I can’t get this bloody door open that you hung yesterday”.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Spot on, Mr Bump. Spot on.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

13. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

i think i could hinge a door up to a real high standard in 20min but would need a sit down and cuppa after

14. lamello

lamello New Member

very funny Mr Bump. 12 minutes what a load of bull.

15. lamello

lamello New Member

so working on 20mins a door 75 and an 8 hour day we are talking 24 doors a day and your quickest man would do 40 in a day. If I had done all the casings myself already to my standards I would struggle to do more than 8 in a day. Door swaps in existing casings/linings I might only do 3-4 depending on state of linings/repair work etc. I've met talkers like you before. I can do this I can do that, put the tools in their hands and it all falls to bits. Remember despite your massive site experience and huge knowledge you hadnt even heard of 5.4s of pre-primed MDF skirting before I told you about it. Says volumes.

16. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

As my work is pretty much 100% domestic these days, it's almost always 'door swaps' for me in 100+ year old houses. Lamello's right, 3-4 in a day.....sometimes less, more like 2 in a day if it involves properly filling old mortice holes and hinge pockets with well fitting timber inserts, easing/adjusting door stops, compensating for twisted/bowed linings, etc.....

That's when it costs a customer £75 an internal.

17. dual193

dual193 New Member

I am glad you posted that one Mr Mike, as I was beginning to think I should pack it all in.. If I have done the casings / Linings of which is where the time is lost or made up in hanging a door.. then I can do 6 maybe 7 but I have taken as much as all day to hang 2 doors before now.. (with the linings etc. out of square etc.)

18. ­

­ New Member

I'd love to see one of these 12 minute doors

19. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

if the lining is perfect then 1 pass with ts75 set to 3degrees and 1 pass with plane = 5min then chop in the hinges 8min predrill everything and put screws in 7min. It is possible to do 1 in twenty minute but that does not factor in unwrapping the door taking rubbish to skip and a hoover up after or latch and handles plus any slight discrepancy in the casing add time

20. starlight tiles

3 to 4 doors a day.wot time u guys starting and finishing.as for the guy who can only do 2 internals a day/are u retired and just doing it for a hobby.

the lad who done it in 12 mins had everyting set up before we timed him.he just took a few shavings off,hinges on,lock on then handles.
    any good joiner will rattle 6 a day off no probs.
    our lads have done 11 in the past.

as a matter of interest how many hours a day are u guys putting in.
    as for the lad who fills old mortice locks whatever happened to the good old splice,

as a matter of interest lads check out the national schedule of rates for 1 internal door which includes any splices required and door painting.