Hanging doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jay_Kent, Dec 1, 2007.

1. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

right mr deeds you should really read the message's properly before you jump the gun kid.
    what i did say is that there are 2 door companies where i live supplying and fitting 7 internal doors for £275 i think, maybe a bit less .these outlets have been trading for 20yrs plus.
    yes exactly they must be making a profit.
    joiners in paper range from £15 to £30 tops to fit 1 internal door.
    so for the guy who claims to be getting £75 an internal door/is he really or is it bravado.

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

for once you are correct about one thing mazball

the small ads here usually run somthing like this

"carpenter 25 years experience doors fitted £16 call Ed on 07700 000000"

the ed's of this world arnt competition

3. lamello

lamello New Member

How did you get my number mr deeds.

4. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

right mr deeds you should really read the message's
    properly before you jump the gun kid.
    what i did say is that there are 2 door companies
    where i live supplying and fitting 7 internal doors
    for £275 i think, maybe a bit less .these outlets
    have been trading for 20yrs plus.
    yes exactly they must be making a profit.
    joiners in paper range from £15 to £30 tops to fit 1
    internal door.
    so for the guy who claims to be getting £75 an
    internal door/is he really or is it bravado.

Absolutely not bravado in my opinion.

I am no joiner but same rules apply to most trades. i used to fit burglar alarms and i charged £400-00 for a system which one free ads company quoted £200 for.

The same equipment the same finished product on paper but big difference in installation standard.

There is a market for Skoda and there is a market for BMW.

5. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"£400-00 for a system which one free ads company quoted £200 for."
    so yhou tried to put a bmw badge on a skoda lol.
    Can i ask what made your alarms so special?

6. lamello

lamello New Member

What he is saying is that people will happily pay a lot more to have a hob well done. ie round my way there a blokes charging £30 a door, but I have no shortage of takers at £70+ a door. Same door but the fitting quality is the breaker. Alarms wise I guess neat wiring, neat fixing, level and plum sensors etc a hoover, take the rubbish away etc

7. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

"£400-00 for a system which one free ads company
    quoted £200 for."
    so yhou tried to put a bmw badge on a skoda lol.
    Can i ask what made your alarms so special?

I used the same equipment as the opposition (more or less) and certainly at similar cost prices.

The difference was that I lifted boards to hide all cables, drilled trhough catnics to get cables to door contacts invisibly and provided a really good after sales service.

The competition surface wired everything!!!

Never drilled a hole without a hoover in one hand etc etc

I got all my work by word of mouth and found that most people would rather have someone that they knew, even if only by proxy, working in their homes than a stranger from the free ads.

When you have anything fitted in your home, be it an alarm or flooring, you are not just selling a bit of floor you are selling an entire service.

8. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

What he is saying is that people will happily pay a
    lot more to have a hob well done. ie round my way
    there a blokes charging £30 a door, but I have no
    shortage of takers at £70+ a door. Same door but the
    fitting quality is the breaker. Alarms wise I guess
    neat wiring, neat fixing, level and plum sensors etc
    a hoover, take the rubbish away etc

Dead right Lamello!

You have explained it far better than me.

At the end of the day a door will last what? ten/twenty years? I would rather pay a bit more to look at a well hung door for twenty years than look at one that makes me wince everytime I see it!

9. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

I know, just messing, i used to fit alarms too and yep no visible cables allowed, flush door contacts etc.
    Shame people don't seem to do it anymore, i'm sick of cutting alarm cables shoved under carpets.

10. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

I know you used to fit them, I still do the odd one but mostly just do repairs now as have a full time job in IT.

These free pages blokes don't even put cables under carpets, they use a cable tacker and clip to ceilings!

4 PIRs, 2 door contacts, panic button, contorl panel with remote keypad and external sounder in an average 3 bed semi. 4 hours tops.

I fitted alarms for 27 years and I couldn't do one that quick without it looking ****!

11. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"they use a cable tacker and clip to ceilings!"
    oh dear,
    i thought the idea of an alarm was to stop you getting robbed!
    It is a full days work and more if the rooms are full of cr@p, 4 hours is just not possible.
    I always prefered panel swaps or add ons/repairs.
    I saw a shop next to me have a "new" alarm fitted by a big n-east firm (you will have heard of) a couple of weeks ago.
    The old alarm was knacked and a good 20+ years old, the engineer used all of the old cables and just fitted new censors etc surface mounted in trunking, lazy git!