Hanging doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by richado, Jun 22, 2008.

1. richado

richado New Member

I am just in the process of changing the doors in my house. I have got the doors on the hinges but when i open them they seem to swing back and hit the wall.
    Somebody a long time ago told me if this happens to put cardboard behind the hinges. Is this correct? and how do i know which hinge to put the cardboard behind.

2. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

you should have a 2mm clearance gap between the door and frame.also doors should have a "leading edge "planed on both edges of doors.this is a very slight bevel.check the doors not touching the door stops at the hinge side, if this is the case you will have to move the hinges slightly.

3. cabinet

cabinet New Member

Have a look at this guide it may help explain what Steve.c is saying.

4. murrmac

murrmac Member

> I am just in the process of changing the doors in my
    house. I have got the doors on the hinges but when i
    open them they seem to swing back and hit the wall

there can be only one explanation, that the hinges are grossly out of plumb to each other, in one or other or ( both ) of two planes.

either the door linings are out of whack, or you have cut the hinge recesses too deep or too shallow, or a combination of any of these.