Hanging gate post.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Andypaint, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Andypaint

Andypaint New Member

Hi,
    I’m hanging a garden gate that will be attached to a garage corner. I’m going to hang the post then screw gate to it. The post is 45mm deep and will be screwed into the corner of a concrete block garage. Can you advise me on type of screws, length etc and rawlplugs that I should use to make a sturdy job. Many thanks.
    BEDCA0A5-5BB6-4731-8875-66176F62AA42.jpeg 4559C8B9-FADA-439D-A43E-6B84BE71F59E.jpeg

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

100mm length M8 Thunderbolts, countersink the hole with a spade bit to drive them in flush with the post or just below, use an 8mm SDS drill bit and tighten them up with a 15mm(I think) spanner, socket or adapter for a drill driver.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

M6 thread bar cut to length say 80mm
    Washer and nut.

Drill 8mm hole 50mm deep in blocks through 3 holes in post.

20mm ish flat head drill to sink the nut and washer in the wood post below the surface.

Bolt resin in each hole and push threaded bar in.

Wait a few hours and washer and nut to fix post to wall.

Or thunder bolts but I'm not a fan of those. They are easy to use but have had some fail to grip

4. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I'm a big fan of resin anchors but for this application I'd just bolt right through the wall. M8 fine.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I've used coach bolts. M6 90mm and large plugs 6 - 8mm

Just threaded bar is cheap and a few nuts then £7 or resin. Think it works out cheaper

6. Andypaint

Andypaint New Member

Many thanks! I think I’m going down the resin route.

Wayners likes this.