Hanging Heavy Punchbag from external extension wall

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Joseph Wilkinson, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Joseph Wilkinson

Joseph Wilkinson New Member

I’m hanging a heavy punch bag from a wall bracket fitted to my extension exterior wall. I successfully fitted the bracket using x4 M12 rawlbolts and hung the bag the other day but the noise after a few hits in the kitchen was very loud so I’ve took it down.

However Im trying plan B which is fit x2 3X2 wooden batons along the wall with x4 M12 anchor bolts, then fit the frame to the wood, what would the best bolts to use to fit to the wood? Bare in mind the frame is around 20KG and the bag is 50+KG, also im now hanging the bag from the frame with some 6” springs to minimise force on the frame and also my thinking behind using the wooden batons is to spread the force across a larger surface area rather than 2 single bricks. Any advice or knowledge would be much appreciated :) apologies for the long post also

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

As an apprentice (and in spite of my username), occasionally we had to take cabs off Bedford 4 ton lorries.

If you accidentally left one 1/4" bolt holding the cab to the chassis, the crane would lift the whole truck off the ground by it.

I'm sure some decent 50mm steel wood screws will be fine for your job.

Joseph Wilkinson likes this.