Hanging Internal Doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Johnboyz100, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Johnboyz100

Johnboyz100 New Member

Hi folks I've got to hang 12 internal doors for a friend who wants his old doors replacing with modern panel doors. My question is what is the best way to transfer the original hinge positions in the frame to the new door? Is there a bit of kit to do this or do i just scribe along the hinge onto the new door?? thanks John

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You could make a rod, lay the old door on top of the old door or hold the new door up to the frame. I'm sure someone will disagree with this and come up with some more ways :)

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I always car filler the hinge and latch positions and start from scratch, quicker, easier and looks a thousand times better, hinges and latches all at the same height and no having to deal with someone elses heavy handed chopping out. If you are dead set on using the old positions, then as chippie says make rods by getting half a dozen 50mm rips of scrap MDF or ply about 1950 long and use both sides to mark heights

4. Johnboyz100

Johnboyz100 New Member

Thanks for the advice lads :)

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Wouldn't you make the door fit(ish), put it in proper position(remembering to wedge the door up to height), then mark the hinges off from the old ones ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

Sod's law says that every one will be a little bit different - using a rod works well if they are all the same.

If the old door was hung on 3" hinges it can be worth using 4" for the new so you can position all the hinges alike and extent the frame rebates to match. If you are doing this for 12 doors use a rod to lay it out. You'll then get the speed up and they all finish up the same.

7. Johnboyz100

Johnboyz100 New Member

I should have made my first post clearer Handyandy because that is what i ment by scribing along the original hinge when the new door was in position....i was just wondering if there was a bit of kit or how the pro's do it.....thanks John

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Seriously, unless you have clear finish linings that cant be filled and rubbed down, if you have a dozen to do then whip them all off spend and hour filling and rubbing the linings down and do them properly.

9. two by one

two by one New Member

couple of other points.. first fit the door inside the frame, plus a router makes cutting out faster. Also mark the door with tape or something- it is surprisingly easy to do your hinge cut outs upside down or back to front!

10. CraftMan2010

CraftMan2010 New Member

honestly the best way is easy! use a tape measure be accurate, check if they are in the same place as old doors, easy!

11. termite

termite New Member

I have never read so much ** on hanging internal doors,enough to make any chipee weep.this is why hanging doors is the job all diyers shy away from!

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Who you refering to termite, I hope not me, theres a phrase referring to hot dinners that applies

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Termite just chews his hinge rebates out :)

14. chippie84

chippie84 New Member

tape measures are for a reason and this is one of them m8 as previously said use that method and be accurate.failing that knock up a rod.

chippie84

15. xtegmartin

xtegmartin New Member

shoot door in to fit opening, mark hinge position with sharp knife chop out hinges in door, what is the problem unless its new lining and door then use jig or rod, i think this forum could do with a joiners section and carpenters section, like the kitchen fitters area, 2 very different trades

Martin

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

martin, everyone has their own way of working, I do lots and lots of doors and just choose to not use existing hinges and latch positions because in my opinion you end up with a much neater and better looking job with matching hinge heights and handle heights, then again I charge £75 a door labour and have no shortage of takers at that price, vast majority off recomendation. You do your doors the way you want to but when you pay the price my customers happily do they want a new door going into an existing casing looking like its the first door thats ever gone in it. That can always be achieved if you you use the old hinge positions that were chopped out with a spoon