Hanging lining paper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by stealthwolf, Mar 7, 2019.

1. stealthwolf

stealthwolf New Member

Bedroom is being redecorated. Layers of old wallpaper have been removed. I've filled any holes and patches with ronseal wall filler and sanded them down. The plan is to line the walls with lining paper and then paint over. I've pored over forums but still don't have enough information and I've never hung wallpaper before!

Questions:

1. What grade lining paper? 1200-1400 seems usual.
    2, Do I still need to size the walls with wallpaper paste (and allow to dry for 24 hrs)?
    3. Should I use Zinsser Gardz instead?
    4. Is Erfurt Fibreliner overkill? Should I stick to standard liner paper?
    5. Do I need to thin the first coat of paint?

2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

1, As you have not hung paper before you may find the 1400 a little more demanding, if the walls have been prepared well 1200 grade will be fine.
    2, Yes.
    3, Extra expense.
    4, Unless your walls have badly crazed plaster it would be overkill and is also a paste the wall product.
    5, Just a little if you see fit, wouldn't hurt.

WillyEckerslike and stealthwolf like this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Wallrock is good stuff and easy to hang but costs more. Roll on some thin paste to seal day before then I spray water with garden sprayer prior to lining walls to liven it up a little.. I'd go with standard lining paper and see how it goes. It's not difficult and you only learn by having ago. Thinner 1200 will be fine. So many ideas and ways to do it so don't get bogged down with the details. Just have ago and learn as you go . Your way

stealthwolf likes this.
  4. stealthwolf

stealthwolf New Member

Went reasonably well. 1400 lining paper. Wasn't too difficult to use. Walls were sized beforehand.

I got mostly good butt joints with the drops but a few gaps on a couple of drops, less than 1mm and not the full length of the drop.

Is paint, fill, sand, paint a good plan?

Any particular filler that's recommended? I've heard some can cause problems with the dried paste, or can flash or grin through subsequent paint layers.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Toupret Interior Filler v good

Available as 2kg box (powder) from our hosts, T.Stn, etc

stealthwolf likes this.
  6. Astramax

Paint with 1st coat of emulsion, when dry use Easifill to blind the joins.

stealthwolf likes this.
  7. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Out of interest, what's peoples view on if lining paper should be applied horizontal or vertical ?
    Seem to remember someone advised, not on here, that it should be horizontal ?

8. Astramax

Can do either way but horizontal preferred if cross lining.

b4xtr and stealthwolf like this.
  9. stealthwolf

stealthwolf New Member

Everywhere I’ve read recommends crosslining if papering over (ie horizontally) to avoid seams overlapping, and vertically if painting (which is what I’ve done).

b4xtr likes this.