Hanging Picture Frames

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Raul B, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Raul B

Raul B Member

Hi there,

I've got 2 wooden frames (5 kg each with 2 screw holes) which didn't come with screws and I need to hang them up on masonry walls.
    Can you advise what screw lengths I should be using?

The head of the screws I currently have are TOO big (currently have 3 inch screws) and doesn't fit into the hole of the frame! :-(

2. furious_customer

furious_customer Active Member

3. Raul B

Raul B Member

oh ok, thanks.
    I already have the brown rawl plugs but for £6 this item seems decent! Is the rawl plug the same size as brown coloured ones - 7mm?

4. Raul B

Raul B Member

P.S. Would 3.5cm screws not suffice!? I have longer 4.5cm screws but the heads too big and doesn't fit into the where the screws sit on!

5. Raul B

Raul B Member

oh ok, thanks.
    I already have the brown rawl plugs but for £6 this item seems decent! Is the rawl plug the same size as brown coloured ones - 7mm?
    P.S. Would 3.5cm screws not suffice!? I have longer 4.5cm screws but the heads too big and doesn't fit into the where the screws sit on!

Jord86 likes this.
  6. furious_customer

According to the spec you need a 6mm drill bit, so sounds like they might be a little smaller.

5kg into brick isn't much at all - I would say if the screwhead is too large for your frame then go down the sizes until you get the largest one that fits.

7. Raul B

Raul B Member

That would mean 3.5cm screws... WILL that suffice or not? I wasn't too sure why you meant with '5kg into brick isn't much at all'.
    I don't have any other screwheads that fit at home so unless I go B&Q where I can compare the screwheads this is the best choice...

8. furious_customer

Bricks will support way more than 5Kg is what I meant.

I'm only a DIY'er so don't take what I say as gospel, but all I can tell you is that if it was me I would go to B&Q or Screwfix and buy a pack of plugs and screws together so that I knew that the screws were a good match for the plugs.

3,5cm should be fine so long as the plug is a snug fit in the hole and the screw is a the correct size for the plug.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  9. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

For a 3.5 screw brown plugs are too big, reds will do but you need a 5.5 or 6mm hole first

10. Raul B

Raul B Member

But will 3.5cm screws suffice!?

11. chippie244

I'm talking width in mm and you're talking length in cm.
    What size head fits your keyhole?

12. Raul B

Raul B Member

8mm head....

13. chippie244

That's probably a 4mm/8ga screw in whatever length you want although 50mm/2" will be more than ample. Use a 6mm masonry drill and a red plug

14. Raul B

Raul B Member

Forgive my ignorance, so is the 3.5cm screw lengths too short as you're suggesting 5cm?

15. Hans_25

Hans_25 Active Member

3.5mm probably fine as long as the rawlplug is not in too deep and is a nice snug fit. Use a 5.5mm to drill the hole and decent red rawlplugs.

16. Raul B

Raul B Member

Note I’ll have to have the screw hanging out a bit. Will that length still suffice!?

17. Hans_25

Hans_25 Active Member

Yes my comments above still stand (although its 35mm not 3.5mm:oops:)

You'll know whether its OK when you screw the screw in - if its nice and tight then fine, too loose and you'll need a longer screw. Its a shear force that's being applied, key here is that the whole length of the screw that's in the wall needs to be supported, otherwise the head end can get pulled downwards and then you're in trouble.

18. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Active Member

Screws are measured in 2 ways:

Width eg no.6 , no. 8 , no 10;

And length.

There are multiple combinations of the 2 dimensions.

19. Hans_25

Hans_25 Active Member

OP is talking about a screw that's 35mm in length.

20. Raul B

Raul B Member

Thanks all, finally put them up a month ago! So difficult with the frame holes being in different places and drilling into cement rather than brick (guessing game)!!!!