Hanging Radiators on Plasterboard.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mosaix, May 21, 2022.

1. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Is it ok to hang a radiator off plasterboard?

The radiator weighs 25k empty and has 3 brackets.

Is it ok to just use standard plater board fittings or should I fix battens to the brick wall behind?

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Why can't you fix past the plasterboard into the brick behind ??

Mosaix likes this.
  3. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Thanks, Terry.

The plasterboard is foam backed and there’s a cavity behind that so I would need very long screws to cover the distance and go into the brick far enough to be secure. I’m not sure if they would carry the weight without them deforming or bending in some way.

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Personally, I would go for battens fixed to the wall. Reskim, paint to match and it will never be seen.

jimbobby and Mosaix like this.
  5. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

I had same problem, cut out pb and insulation and fitted 3"x2" battens, end of problem

BiancoTheGiraffe and Mosaix like this.
  6. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Very long frame fixings can be your friend here...

Assuming the radiator is solid and the brackets aren't visible you can use M12/14 which should fit nice and solid and will take the downward force of a radiator very easily

Mosaix likes this.
  7. Resmond

Resmond Active Member

You can use gripits to hang a rad, not sure how they work with insulated backed pb tho

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Corefix do great fixings. Through pb into wall.

9. BiancoTheGiraffe

They'd probably work really well, as they come with the tool to clear the back of the board

10. Notnowvicar

Notnowvicar Screwfix Select

Corefix all the way, all our kitchen units are suspended off the floor by them...ie no legs. 4 years no movement.

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Why suspend them?

12. BiancoTheGiraffe

Apparently it's considered cool (or should that be "kool" in your case?!)...

Unfortunately it only looks good if you clean underneath thoroughly every day!

koolpc likes this.
  13. Notnowvicar

Notnowvicar Screwfix Select

That is what a robotic cleaner was invented for....

14. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Thanks everyone.

An update...

Two of the brackets on the new radiator line up with the battens that held the previous, two bracket, radiator so I can use them.

I have checked the other radiators in the house and one of them (type 22 140cm x 60cm), is almost twice the weight of my new one (type 11 150cm x 60) and only has two brackets, both connected through plasterboard to the wall via battens.

So, my plan is to connect the new radiator with two brackets via existing battens and the third central one, that it would appear will be just belts-and-braces, via standard plaster board fixings.

Can anyone see anything wrong with this?