Hanging very heavy timber beam

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Pallet-man, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

And me, Skil 7"1/4 magnesium model I've been eyeing up for a while on and off, don't mind the cost but not too sure about whether I'll have any issues using American tools on UK power supply, don't know anything about electrics and haven't really had a definitive answer.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I did contact Bosch a couple of years ago about worm drive saws, their response was there is no market for them in Europe or the UK.:(

Do like that Skil 7"1/4 magnesium, can be got quite cheap.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That's a ridiculous response, of course there'd be a market, a quite sizeable one in my opinion, there'd be a far bigger interest if people knew they existed, not everyone is a tool addict :)

4. Pallet-man

Pallet-man Member

Hello sorry for the late reply. I have a 6.1m beam and I want to sit it in the wall somehow below the RSJ. I know I can't have it underneath the steel because the steel is there but next to it maybe?
    I can't really build a pillar because it is literally right next to the floorboards and concrete floor.. basically needs to sit bang in the middle of the joist to be centre

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Can you post a photo of the area and where you propose for it to go, bit difficult to grasp your scenario?

6. Pallet-man

Pallet-man Member

Screenshot_20180117-195612-540x960.png Screenshot_20180117-195556-540x960.png

Attached Files:

7. Pallet-man

Pallet-man Member

Steel has been put in I want to put this timber beam in. As you can see where I would build a pillar would be bang in the middle of the joist where the floorboards meet the concrete.

Only other option is to get a mini genie lift and put the beam so it is hanging inside the cavity. Would this be ok?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What about having some type of gallow bracket made bolted to wall, then sit beam on them & bolt beam to them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Is the oak beam longer than the steel?

10. Pallet-man

Pallet-man Member

Beam is 6.01m and room is 5.7m.. I think it is 300mm bigger than steel

11. Pallet-man

Pallet-man Member

I would not like to hang a 400kg beam of a little bracket. If it falls off could kill someone that's why thinking pocking in through the cavity on both sides

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

As far as I'm aware that's the first time you've mentioned the weight and KIAB isn't a mind reader, I too assumed a lot less weight than that, with that being said then chop the blockwork out both sides of your rsj but take it down lower so the oak will be on show a good few inches below your eventual ceiling, cut a slot in the beam it's full length to slot over the bottom lip of the rsj and have some bearing, then use the genie on an angle to slide it through one cavity as far as it will go then slide it back to bear on both sides.

To be honest though in my opinion it's a big waste of oak, your head height will be hugely affected if you position it too much underneath the rsj, and two out of the four sides won't be on show anyways. Is there anywhere else it could be used, or could it be ripped in half and you still have a sizeable piece left for another area?

btiw2 and KIAB like this.
  13. Pallet-man

Pallet-man Member

The 400kg is a guess I can lift it one side but if 2 people life it it's very heavy.
    Hmm not really anywhere else for it to go, but if I put it underneath the RSJ the bottom of the beam comes to 2.3m so could be a bit on the low side.

It is a waste you are right... She to use put it to good use though it costed £350 delivered

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

400Kg THAT's nearly 900lbs.:eek:

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If you can lift it one side it won't be near 400kg, unless you are Schwarzenegger. If 2.3m is finished height then that's not too bad, certainly acceptable.

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could as I said earlier, hollow it out a bit,so it encases the rsj a bit, therefore giving you a bit more height in room.

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It won't be, it took twenty of us to lift a 750kg rsj waist height from the lorry off the main road, round the back and onto a genie a couple of years ago, and that was nearly half an hour taken. I'll be astounded if it's anywhere near 400.

18. Pallet-man

Pallet-man Member

Total guess 14" x 8" big monster.. I will have a look at the videos I have a chainsaw and a good circular.. its just as soon as I start then that's it then.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't remember the weight of oak per metre.

I reckon it's around 200-300lbs, might be tad more.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Just as an aside, your RSJ really should be bearing on padstones not brick, unless they're engineering bricks which they don't look like, and a coat of red lead or blackjack may be needed, Building Inspectors can be quite awkward........

KIAB likes this.