hardboard or plywood ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by stevie.c, Nov 8, 2006.

1. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

my brother is having lino fitted soon in re-furbed bath room,what is considered best 6mm ply or 6mm hardboard.any tips ie:should the sheets be glued down,do i need to wet the hardboard ,pinned down or screwed ?

2. Planet Niton

Planet Niton Member

I recently had vinyl-coated cork tiles laid in the bathroom by professional flooring fitters and they used plywood underneath as they said it was more rigid than hardboard and also if any water seeped through a join, hardboard is liable to "bubble up"and cause floor to become uneven. They nailed the sheets of ply onto the wooden floorboards - I guess you'd glue it to concrete. Hope this is helpful.

3. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

yea ,thanks for replying.i was going down the plywood route just wanted re-assureing,think irl screw it down and maybe fill the holes.regards steve

4. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

If the floor boards are pretty flat then I would suggest hard board nailed down at regular intervals.
    The trick is to soak the boards first, leaving outside over night, shiny side down and let the dew penetrate would do. Then nail down and as they dry out they tighten up so you won't have any trouble with wrinkles.

Hope that helps.

5. Late Sutton

Late Sutton New Member

Had my bathroom done earlier this year and used plywood under the tile...I have not had any problems.

Late Sutton