Hardboard over woodchip paper to prep for new wallpaper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Lfr, May 29, 2018.

1. Lfr

Lfr New Member

Hello all,

I have an internal wall made of ply/hardboard that is covered in woodchip wallpaper. I need a way to cover the woodchip, creating a flat surface for the new wallpaper. Current thinking is to glue some hardboard on top of the woodchip, then wallpaper that. I would screw it on but the battens are few and far between and I don't know how reliable they will be. I was thinking of using CT-1 to glue the boards on but its rather expensive (the adhesive would need to be flexible). Total area approx 2.4m x 2.4m.

Have I got it all wrong and are there any better suggestions out there?

Many thanks in advance.

2. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

PVA £10 for 5lt

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Your unlikely to get the joints in ur new hardboard parfectly flat and it all seems a lot of faff to create a surface ready for papering

Unless ur using an embossed paper, any uneven joins will probably show through the new paper and look horrendous

Any reason why ur not considering stripping of the woodchip in the convential fashion - ie, score paper then soak with hot soapy water, then get scraping

Even if it has 400 years of paint layers on the woodchip, it’s only a relatively small area - not like a whole room is it ?

CGN likes this.
  4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As Dave says. Get scraping you idol so and so :D

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Do you think Lfr is an abbreviation for a lazy rascal - I've missed a word out.....

CGN likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Couldn't shift the woodchip paper off a room 2 years ago that was pasted directly onto plasterboard...got it off in the end with a few Norton 40 blue grit sanding discs and my 150mm Bosch orbital sander connected up to my vacuum, little bit of making good here and there with Easifil and lined it out with 1400 grade. Job done!....bruddy nightmare though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    CGN likes this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Think you maybe on to something there Willy :D

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

2.4x2.4 is also 2 sheets of PB!

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

yes, yes, yes but....the OP has said his wall is made of ply/hardboard so can be a bit more aggressive with the scrapper and lash on the soapy bubbles as well, not nearly as delicate as unskimmed PB .........And......... he only has a smallish area to strip, not a whole room

Cant see the problem;

Score
    Soak
    Scrape
    Lashings of elbow grease
    Continue

etc :)

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Plenty of problems DIY, ply/hardboard will blow very easily once soaked, so no, no, no!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I know what the OP said, I was referring to a similar challenge I had that may of been of help to the OP.
    Have you thought about working in a dispensing pharmacy, you should consider it coz they can't read either!

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No problems at my local pharmacy, I can get all the drugs I need thanks

Perhaps consider changing to another branch if you have frequent problems with your medication Astra ..... just keep taking the pills and all will be fine :)

13. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Best way to strip woodchip wallpaper...,... Skim with multi finish after 10 mins peels straight off , messy but effective

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

On medication following 2 strokes, wouldn't recommend that to anyone:(, really frightening experience:mad:. Any Pharmacy fail to read the prescription correctly every month so gets very boring cause I know exactly what's going to happen every time I collect...................it's called 'Dispense the Cheapest Generic we can find' totally ignore what the medical consultant has recommended.