Hardie Backer vs No more ply vs aquapanel 6mm flooring

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Mark Dowler, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Mark Dowler

Mark Dowler Member

Hi. I am ready to order materials for my ensuite flooring. I have chipboard and will be placing a 6mm board on top to get ready for tiling. The area is only just over 3m square.... is there any preference or difference between these boards or are they all much the same? Also I believe the method is glued and screwed. Would all 3 require taping joints. Would really appreciate any advice please! Thanks

2. JimTiler

JimTiler Active Member

I’ve never used Aquapanel on floors so can’t comment on that product but between Hardie and No More Ply the Hardie is the better product in my view.
    NMP is quite brittle and really requires drilling pilot holes on edges to stop it splitting.
    Hardie needs to be stuck down with tile adhesive then screwed, taped and a skim of adhesive applied over the joints.
    NMP is fixed down with their adhesive (comes in tubes) and then the same adhesive used to seal the joints.

3. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Are you tanking the floor too? or just tiling straing on?

4. Mark Dowler

Mark Dowler Member

Tanking the floor?.... I was hoping not to. What are your thoughts?

5. JimTiler

JimTiler Active Member

No need to tank the floor unless it’s a wetroom.

6. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Just that if tanking you dont need to tape/seal joints. So, unless a wetroom, not needed.