Hardie backer

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Jay459, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

It says on their website you can’t screw these direct to joist. I can’t see why not. Surely I shouldn’t have to chipboard all the walls as Well?

They also say to tile the smooth side of the 12mm board, is this the side with hardie backer barcode etc?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Use wedi washers to fix but not used on joists myself. Guess it could sag?

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Have you understood the instructions correctly? Joists will be on floors and ceilings. Walls will be studs and noggins. There's an installation guide you can download iirc.

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Think there may be a technical jargon issue here.

As Willy says. Joists are floor/ceiling. Studs are walls.

5. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Yeah I see now. I have 6mm for floor anyway which is already chipboard.

So anyone know what side to tile on for walls, is it the side with barcode?

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

James Hardie have got a great website with all the info ur gonna need, plus loads instal videos both on website and YouTube

Think you’ve misunderstood somewhere as wall boards ‘should’ be fixed direct to studs and not over plaster board, etc

Boarding a floor can go over chipboard or floorboards, after laying a bed of cement based tile adhesive

Or Hardie do a thicker board ‘Hardie Floor’ which replaces the timber and is fixed direct to joists

6mm board is tiled on grid side
    12mm board is tiled on smooth

Grab yourself a cuppa and spend some time looking through the website, all info at ur fingertips :)

WillyEckerslike likes this.