Hardiebacker - 6mm or 12mm?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Possom, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Possom

Possom Member

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Where are you going to use it, & what size of tiles going on it.

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

If you have room for 12mm then for 3 quid a sheet extra, I would use that.

KIAB likes this.
  4. Possom

Possom Member

On a bathroom wall directly beside a bath which has an overhead shower. Timber studs. Tiles are the mini metro 7.5cm x 15cm tiles.

With the B&Q prices (above) there's only £1 in the difference, but as the 12mm thick will be twice the weight, I suppose weight is the factor for consideration.

5. Possom

Possom Member

I presumed the weight of the 12mm thick board would be twice the weight of the 6mm board since both have the same dimensions.

However, according to the B&Q links above the 6mm board is 9kg whereas the 12mm board is 13.8kg.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

They are actually 9 kg and 12.8kg. It could well be down to there being a very hard outer skin and the inner is not as compressed.

As to where to but from - find a local branch of Sheffield Insulations Group or SIG http://www.siginsulation.co.uk/ I recently paid under £8/sheet (ex VAT) for a small quantity. SIG also have a subsidiary Insulation Express where it is £8/sheet ... http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/Tile-Backer-Board/HardieBacker-12mm-Cement-Board-for-Walls-(HardieBacker-500).htm

And as you are direct on studs - 12mm is essential as 6mm will flex.

KIAB and Possom like this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

6mm is good for 'over boarding', such as a wooden floor etc. 12mm is more structural and used direct on to stud work. :)

8. Possom

Possom Member

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately the first company don't have any stores in my region. I 'phone a few local builders merchants to see if they have it. As I don't need very much in any case I can always get it from B&Q.

That's good to know. I'll go for the 12mm board then. Thanks.

9. Pollowick

Always worth remembering though if you need Celotex, Hardie, Marmox, Rockwool &c. Spend over £200 on their Insulation Express site and it will be delivered free and if you wanted 5 or so 12mm backer boards, even with delivery it is probably cheaper than the sheds ...

Possom likes this.
  10. Possom

Possom Member

Just had another look around their site. Unfortunately looks as though that offer wouldn't apply to me.

"Unfortunately we Insulation Express cannot deliver to the Highlands & Islands of the UK. "
    http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/delivery.asp

11. Pollowick

And they have branches in Aberdeen and Inverness - I always class those as Highlands.

12. Possom

Possom Member

Would still be a bit of a drive for me (I'm in Northern Ireland).:)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017