Hardwire a new fitted microwave

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by lorenzo94, Oct 6, 2022.

1. lorenzo94

lorenzo94 New Member

Good afternoon all,

I have bought a fitted microwave (AEG MBB1756DEM). I will place it in a cabinet that currently does not have a fitted microwave, so will make the appropriate adjustments. At first I thought to make a hole and let the 3 pin plug pass through it and simply plug the microwave in. This option is not ideal as not pleasant to the eyes.

I have thought of replacing my current double outlet into a single 13A socket and a fused switched spur (13A) where to hardwire the microwave. The outlet is on a ring circuit and no spur is currently from any of the outlets. The kitchen outlets are on their own ring. I have thought of having the switched socket on a spur from the single outlet (option 2) but I have read somewhere that option 1 is more ideal as the microwave would stay on the ring as opposed to be on a spur? The connection between the socket and the switched spur would be made with a 2.5 mm twin earthier cable. The microwave cable would be fed through the hallow of the wall.

Please see pictures attached, and let me know if there are any issues in doing this! Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

Just spur off the existing twin s/o

3. lorenzo94

lorenzo94 New Member

the reason why I don’t want to spur off the existing outlet is that I have tiles and don’t want to make more holes in my wall / tiles. If the 1 + 1 back box won’t fit properly, I will consider running the fused switch as a spur from the socket and making another hole. But if I go ahead with the plan above, which option would be more suitable? 1 or 2? Thanks.

4. chesterw

Replacing a double box with a twin outlet outlet box will cause a lot of damage, they are not the same size.

lorenzo94 likes this.
  5. chesterw

I suggest you live with a plastic surface box spurred of the twin s/o. Drill a hole in the side of the twin box, and the another hole through the tile at 90 degrees to the first hole, dig out so you can get a cable through, and mount box, any damage is covered up.

lorenzo94 likes this.
  6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Doesn't the microwave comes with a plug? If so, you'll need a 13A fuse somewhere..
    So plug goes in socket, or provide an FCU with a 13A fuse and wire the M/W there.

7. lorenzo94

lorenzo94 New Member

correct. I will be wiring the microwave to a switched fused spur with a 13A fuse.

8. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If you are having difficulty concealing the wiring for the microwave, consider running it under the worksurface and behind the cupboard backs. Find a suitable supply and install a 13A socket in the cupboard behind the microwave, or if you need emergency switching, a FCU on the side of the microwave cupboard.

9. lorenzo94

lorenzo94 New Member

Evening all, I have a quick question. The plug of the oven comes with a 10 A fuse. Shall I replace the 13 A fuse with the 10 A one when hardwiring the microwave or shall I keep the 13 A fuse? I am opting to spur the microwave switched spur socket off the double socked (so option 2).

thanks!

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Use the 10A fuse

lorenzo94 likes this.
  11. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

Change it for the 10A one, no reason not to.

lorenzo94 likes this.
  12. lorenzo94

lorenzo94 New Member

Thank you all! That’s what I thought, but just wanted confirmation :)