Hardwiring an extension cable into a socket?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by avnoclue, Aug 2, 2020 at 3:31 PM.

1. avnoclue

avnoclue New Member

Keep seeing that this isn't safe so, first of all, is it or not and could someone explain why?

What I'm trying to do is put a 2 gang socket in my campervan running from an inverter. The only out from the inverter is a single plug socket. I've bought a 2 gang socket and I want to hardwire this into the wall. With my base understanding of electrics and a few youtube videos, it seems I can wire the 3 wires from the extension cable straight into the socket and then just plug into the inverter. Or how else am I meant to do this?
    Cheers in advance

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Not sure what ur trying to do. Post a sketch of it ,may make more sense

3. nigel willson

Looking at it again. All ur doing is making an extension lead out of a plug and a twin socket, am I right. You then want to plug this in to the inverter. Problem is that inverter will only supply what we call class 2 appliances, this due to there being no earth on the supply. If you look at ur appliances on the data plate if there is a sign with a small square inside another small square,that is class 2. Anything that doesn’t have that will be class1 requires an earth

4. avnoclue

avnoclue New Member

Yeah that’s what I’m trying to do.

I see, I think I can get by making sure I only use class 2 appliances if this will be safe? Or is there a way to ground the supply somehow?

I drew it as well in case still useful

Attached Files:

5. nigel willson

What size is the inverter in watts. That would figure what size cable you need

6. avnoclue

avnoclue New Member

It's 1000w

7. nigel willson

Are you going to use the flex that you showed on that multi way socket , that would be ok @ probs 1.25mm. you should check ur inverter cos that might be the peak load not the max running load. Reference to your other Q. No you can add an earth, so class two only I’m afraid

8. avnoclue

avnoclue New Member

Sweet thank you this was exactly what I wanted to hear aha. But since I have no real idea about any of this, can I trust you mate? Don’t mean to interrogate or anything, just want to make sure I’m not putting my van at risk of fire or anything. Help much appreciated in any case!

And it is 1OOOw inverter, 2OOO peak

9. nigel willson

No probs . I have been a sparks since the early 80s. If anything I will over engineer stuff. Good luck and enjoy ur van

10. avnoclue

avnoclue New Member

Sound, thanks again!

nigel willson likes this.