Hardwiring new oven

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MiloK, Nov 21, 2020.

1. MiloK

MiloK New Member

Hi,

I will probably end up hiring an electrician, but I would like to see if I can do this myself as it seems like a rather simple thing to do.

I had an old built-in double oven removed. I don't know its kW or amps, but it was hired wired through 3 terminal junction box into the cooker switch and then into 35A MCB (together with the hob).

Now, I have bought a single built-in oven, 13A and 2.5kW, that according to Currys installation guide, it is meant to be hard wired but the TeamKnowHow guy just attached a plug to the end of the oven, which means it can now be plugged in. Issues is that I only have 1 wall socket there, which is used for the fridge-freezer.

Questions I have
    1) shall I leave the plug just the way KnowHow guy installed or shall I hardwire it?
    2) If I leave the plug, can I change the Cooker Switch into a single socket?
    3) If I hardwire it, do I need to change the MCB to 13A? The issue is that the hob is also connected to the same MCB, which would mean I would not be able to use the hob.

Thank for the help.

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

There’s no such thing as a 13A MCB. So forget that idea. The MCB is there to protect the cabling, not the appliances.
    If the installation guide says it can be hardwired then do that. It will be easier than messing about with additional sockets and stuff.

3. MiloK

MiloK New Member

Sorry, it was meant to say 16A MCB.

So can I hardwire it to 32A MCB circuit?

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes! The 32A circuit was originally designed to power a “cooker”

You know, a cooker, that’s an oven and a hob all in one box.

What you plan is to have an oven and a hob that aren’t in the same box. Electrically there’s zero difference. Hardwire it to the same point as the hob. Leave the MCB as it is. Job done.

5. MiloK

MiloK New Member

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That does the same thing as a fused plug. Not needed. Just hardwire the oven.

PS
    I don’t understand this. What surge? In any case, fuses do not protect against surges.

7. MiloK

MiloK New Member

Electrical installation This product requires hardwiring to a 13 Amp fuse and should be installed by a qualified installer, such as one of our Team Knowhow experts.
    Power supply 13 Amp (Requires hardwiring to a fused spur)

Team Knowhow were not very helpful, they just stuck the cable with a plug into the oven, so they did not follow the instructions.

I need to hardwire it to the 13amp fused spur - hence I asked if this is the thing I should use: https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-logic-plus-13a-switched-fused-spur-flex-outlet-white/13479

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

That is indeed a 13 amp fused connection unit ,which is also commonly called a fused spur. If you decide to use it ,what circuit would you connect it to ?
    As Bazza has already advised you can connect the oven into the cooker circuit with the hob also.
    The electrical installation info that you quote above ,what is the source of it ? It can't be from the manufacturer surely ,is it from the retailer ?

9. MiloK

MiloK New Member

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If Beko is the manufacturer ,there installation instructions should come with the appliance.
    The retailer (Currys) are not the manufacturer and there info is to be taken with a pinch of salt.
    The wiring regulations ,currently 18th edition ,are what lays out what can and can't be done .

11. MiloK

MiloK New Member

the user manual is rather ****. It only states the technical specifications (which voltage/frequency, power consuption and size of the cable). And then it describes how to install the cable into the oven, but then does not mention if is it mean to be hardwired or plugged.

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Does Beko's instructions state the appliance MUST be protected by a 13 amp fuse ?
    What Kwatt rating do Beko state the appliance is ,forget what Currys say it is .

13. MiloK

MiloK New Member

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Note it says MINIMUM 13 amp not maximum.
    Your oven is a fixed load ,it can't draw more current than its 2500 watt load ( around 11 amps),
    The 32 amp MCB will provide fault protection.
    Just connect it as advised into the cooker circuit.

Bazza likes this.
  15. MiloK

MiloK New Member

Right, so there is no need for a 13A fused spur, as suggested by Currys website, just straight onto cooker circuit.

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Hurrah!. Get on with it!

17. MiloK

MiloK New Member

At the end I have hardwired it to 13A fused spur.
    Now I have 6mm t/e supplying the spur with 1.5mm cable connecting to the oven. I understand 1.5mm is good enough since there is 13amp fuse so this cable should be enough. Am I correct?

18. unwokeable

unwokeable New Member

19. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Active Member

Why did you do that. You were told that is not necessary.

20. MiloK

MiloK New Member

I had to buy switch spur anyway cos the old was cracked when I was screwing the cables in. and since I already had 1.5mm cable attached to the oven I figured I would take 13amp fused spur.