Hardwood door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by steveboy007, Apr 14, 2010.

1. steveboy007

steveboy007 New Member

I recently got a exterior 6 panel hardwood door to stain before the joiner fits it to frame. To my horror the stain didn't come up well as some of the panels turned almost a dark grey colour in appearance. I phoned the supplier and he said the door was made from Meranti and there is usually a great variation in colour once stained. This door looks terrrible I wouldn't fit it on my shed never mind the front of my house.

Can anyone tell me more about meranti and if its suitable for staining as what I've been given just looks like paint grade timber.

2. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Meranti is a far eastern quick grown red hardwood......very very loosely related to mahogany.

That door was made to be painted. Having said that, it needs a good sand first, then ideally two coats of primer with a sand between each before applying 2-3 top coats.

Meranti can also vary wildly itself. Some I have come across is as light as balsa wood, other times it can be heavy and 'gummy'.

In answer to your question, no it's not suitable for staining. Most 'off the shelf' hardwood doors and windows these days are made of meranti or sapele.