Has the wrong bead been used?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by terrytash, Oct 4, 2018.

1. terrytash

terrytash Member

I have an external corner and plasterer has put in standard 3mm angle bead, one wall is plastered which is fine however the other side is being tiled and so the angle bead protrudes out.

I’m having chrome trim put on the edge of tiles and this will in theory sit on top of the angle bead. So would you have the existing angle bead ripped out and the now skimmed wall patched back or would when tiling a thicker bed of cement used under the tiles to level it with the raised edge of the angle bead. I’m guessing it should have been stop bead used? Plasterer said it’s what he normally uses and not had any issues.

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Have they used a normal angle bead instead of a stop end bead. ??

3. terrytash

terrytash Member

Yeah normal angle bead, I can’t see the tiles and tile trim sitting flush so hence why I think it needs to come off and re skin that wall with stop end but he’s adamant that he’s used it before and a tiler has just used more cement, but that seems like a bridge fix

4. Isitreally

Then as long as he knew it was being tiled he has done it wrong and should put it right.

5. LEH

LEH Member

Yeah you need a stop end, flush with the other side so you can put your tile trim flush too.

6. terrytash

terrytash Member

Thanks, I do feel sometimes if you want a job doing right do it yourself! luckily the angle bead was adhered to a strip on plasterboard 3inch wide to marry up to the existing plastered wall so I dug out the plaster pulled the bead off and ripped out the strip of plasterboard running up the wall.

I have some left over p.board so I assume I cut and replace the missing board to line up with the wall to be tiled, then guess some instant grab to stick the stop end bead on again flush with the wall to be tiled and then skim fill between the bead and the existing wall, will only be a 3mm ish gap, Ive got some easifill hopefully that will do the job. The only materials I need to buy is a strip of stop end, I could have it done by tomorrow as long as I can find the stop end, I could be waiting over a week for the plasterer to come out, hes already made his excuses that he has jobs booked in (wont use him again!)

7. Isitreally

8. terrytash

terrytash Member

Yep have one local enough, thanks